Originally Posted By: LeFusil
The dreaded field assembly and breakdown you say...all 15 to 30 seconds of it? Ha.

LOM cases are only a hinderance to folks who like to drive around and jump out of the truck and shoot birds, in states where transporting a gun uncased is illegal. :-)

I use all sorts of cases. Just depends on what my mood is that day.

Amen.

I don't understand the reticence to disassemble and reassemble a doublegun in the field. Does it take you longer on a tailgate than it does in your workshop or house? The gun needs to be broken down to be cleaned, or at least thoroughly wiped down at the end of the day's shooting, be it game or clays. Why not do it right there while talking to some friends, then when you get home you just stow the hard case and get on with relaxing, or cleaning the birds?

Maybe if you're anal about the cleaning procedure, and spend 30 minutes on every gun every time, you need a different procedure. I'm not. I can clean a gun after a round of sporting clays, or a normal hunt, in 5 minutes. It's not brain surgery. Quick cleanings serve me well, until the season is over, at which time I carefully clean every nook and cranny, and use oil and RIG to keep them safe until next season. Taking time then helps me work through the depression of duck and dove season being over, again.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.