Originally Posted By: Argo44
Thanks Shelby. Reilly is no-where mentioned in that first post and so I missed it.

Bushveld goes back on his statements about best guns, and begins to qualify them according to the date they were built. This gun 24534 was manufactured in 1882 no matter what the advert says. I think Bushveld also makes a mistake by saying this gun was built in Birmingham. Sorry, it was built in London at 16 New Oxford Street or 277 Oxford Street. Old myths about Reilly not making his own guns die hard. Gene Williams

Prove Reilly made his own guns. Please. Not asking in a prick kind of way either, Im asking because if you definitely, without a doubt can prove this...I will have been taught something new, and Im 100% cool with that.

If you can, please show pictures of the factory. Name his head stocker. Who was Reillys actioner? Barrel borer? Show us a period article describing the Reilly gunworks and its day to day operation. Where did you come up with this empirical evidence that Reilly did in fact manufacture complete guns from scratch...other than very early percussion and pinfire guns? Cash books? Reillys cash books would show who the firm paid for actions, barrels, engraving, etc. Have any other gunmakers claimed to have apprenticed at Reillys and advertised that fact? Did Reillys build guns and parts during the two World Wars? Provide machine services making aircraft parts, etc? All of this would prove that Reillys did in fact have a factory and actually did gun building.

To answer your earlier inquiry. The Reilly in the for sale section is built on a basic Birmingham trade action with a snap forend. Best quality guns were not built on this type of action. It might carry London proofs, nothing out of the ordinary there, but it is extremely unlikely this gun was built in London and even more highly unlikely it ever was touched in the white at the E.M. Reilly store. A nice high quality gun it is, but its far from a best quality gun.

There are threads a-plenty, at least a decade or twos worth, on this board arguing and discussing the virtues that make a best quality gun...look em up and educate yourself.