I agree with you 100%- Today I believe your GA dove season ended, I hope you were able to escape farm responsibilities for a while and give them "speedsters" a final send-off.

I went out to visit a few of my back area dairy farms and feedlots- for pigeons. Perfect day, cool, no wind, overcast-. But as I like to "take my time" and see the farm countryside, I went via back dirt roads- boy howdy, the power lines were loaded with doves- and I thought they went South for the Winter, like the robins and orioles do-- Apparently that's not the case.

I got into some very good flights of pigeons- and I use the dead ones for decoys on the picked crop fields. And I bought 12 double for this- an 1928 era Ithaca NID- 30" choked imp. cyl. and imp. mod_ not commonly found in the 30" barrel configuration. DT, my preference, as like you detailed, I often shoot the LH barrel first at incomers, and use the RH more open choked barrel for the closer shots-

Plenty of room between the trigger blades, even for gloves, very smooth cocking gun, and great trigger pulls. Not a DHE Parker or a 3E Smith, but just a solid workmanlike gun. It is a Grade 2- some engraving, good walnut with decent checkering, pg capped, and a red Sunburst pad-- and it fits me perfectly-

It has extractors, whereas all my other double guns have ejectors. I do reload AA hulls, but the main reason I like to pick out the fired empties from the breech is out of respect for the farmers who allow me to hunt and shoot on their property whenever I wish to do so.

Livestock often pick up anything that attracts their attention- and if a cow should inject a empty shell the results could be digestive problems- and loss of income to the hard-working farmer/land owner.I dislike litter, will go out of my way to pick it up whenever I can- so the extractors fit the bill
for my barnyard shooting forays.

I also pick up the dead birds- call it "re-cycling" if you like. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/14/19 06:31 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..