Keith;
That mention of the .45-70 shot cartridge is under "Ammunition" not under the gun list. At this point in time, there were many old "Trapdoor" Springfields out there which had been declared surplus by our Government, many of them sold through Bannerman's. My take here is they were simply listing shot loaded ammunition for these guns.

Incidentally, the first shotgun I ever shot was a little Small Frame H&R 28 gauge single hammer gun. It looked very much like this 1905 model but do not recall now if it was an ejector or non-ejector. I was never able to acquire it but did get to shoot it again later in life & also weighed it at that point. 4 lbs 2 oz. I believe it was either 26" or 28 " barreled.

Thanks, Researcher & Stan. I was pretty sure the .410 did not originate in the US but was not sure just how far back it went.

Researcher, sorry I got mixed up there in the previous post & gave you the wrong handle. You & the R-Man are both extremely knowledgable & I value input from either, just sometimes forget for sure which one has posted when I reply.

PS, meant to add the .45-70 case is of course too large to chamber in a .410. The ad from the Sears catalog Researcher posted did list the .40-85 Win round being used as a chambering for their little "Ladies Gun". A present-day .444 Marlin case will fit most .410 chambers, there may be some rim interference with some. This case is short so a ˝ oz load is about all it will hold.

Last edited by 2-piper; 01/16/19 12:39 AM. Reason: correct numerical mistakes

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra