Regarding shotguns in combat, all I can say is that on my last tour in Afghanistan, I was not initially issued a long gun (M4). I did have access to a Mossberg 500 riot gun so I availed myself to that. I carried it with a dump pouch full (about 40 rds) of Winchester 2 00 Buck because that was all I could get. I carried that until I go a shorty SAW 249 (Para variation) .
One downside to a shotgun in combat is that for each movement to load the gun, you only get one round in, versus on an M4 each time you load, its a magazine worth of 28-30 rds.
The Afghans really liked to see me show up with it. The Afghans knew exactly what it was capable of. During down time, they wanted me to shoot doves for them with it. Took a little explaining to convince them a 9 pellet load of 00 Buck was not a good dove load.
Of course, when the enlisted guys saw an O-5 (LTC) with a shotgun, or a SAW they always gave me that WTF look; Officers dont carry shotguns or SAWs!! Anyway, being former enlisted, and extremely proficient in both, it was not an issue. Besides, I was in charge!!

and since this is the double gun site, I a including a photo of one of the afghans with his "bespoke double"!!! so I am not in violation of the posting rules and to keep this topic from going off the rails
picupload

top baby names 2001

Last edited by Brian; 01/27/19 09:04 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member