September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Replacement, Ken57, 4 invisible), 225 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,054
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
KY Jon #536971 02/10/19 08:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

When the puppy window is open, you dive through headfirst!

Put the pup in your will if you have to.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KY Jon #537010 02/10/19 10:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm too old to see one through. Went without when my Lab died. A hunting buddy, fine waterfowler and professional trapper, said he'd take my Lab if I died. I took him up on it. There isn't a gun worth the pleasure of a good dog.

KY Jon #537014 02/10/19 10:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

KB, you could not be more right.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KY Jon #537027 02/10/19 11:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My father, when he was already old got two German Shorthair Pointers. He tried to work and train them but GSPs (at least these two) are not an old man's dog. They run, and run, and run. He lived on some acreage and the dogs had full rights to the whole thing all day long. He would let them in at night and it was a grand production. The only leverage he had was the feed bowl and the snack box. They were relatively untrained as bird dogs and as far as I could tell were devoid of any natural instinct in that regard except for breaking and entering with malice aforethought down at the neighbors chicken coop. He threatened to shoot the dogs, which did nothing to enhance the neighborly relationship. I reminded my dad that good fences made good neighbors so he made a good fence, which did not deter the dogs at all. Evidently the chicken coop fence was better, as the chickenicide stopped.

My point is that the dogs were wild and they would kill anything they could catch.

My father died and I was left with his dogs. I could not keep them at my house because they would kill the cats, fight with our other dog, and escape to do all that at my neighbor's houses. Consequently they were kenneled for two years until #3 son took them to his place in the country (which is surprising since one of them bit him). But they are now in a large pen (about 1/4 acre) because they still can't run loose (they went over and started trying to get into his neighbor's chicken coop. They like chicken). To make matters worse they have no interest in doves or quail. I took them out to the place once or twice. I spent most of the time calling and looking for them. They ran trough coveys of quail without even flinching and would not pick up a dove. I even put the d*** thing in their mouths and they just spit it out. I guess since it was already dead they had no interest in in.

So, what? My dad got limited enjoyment form the dogs and then, because they had zero social skills they are confined to a pen, probably for the rest of their lives , all because he had to have a couple of dogs that he could not train properly (come, sit, stay, no, stop, heel... drop the chicken and nobody has to get hurt..)

That's what I'm talking about when I don't want to get a puppy. #1 am I going to have the time and energy to train a puppy? Labs don't stop being puppies until they are about 4. #2. Do I want anything that I have become accustomed to leaving out chewed to pieces for the next four years? #3. If, I don't outlive the dog is it going to be a burden or liability on someone else? Can my wife care for the dog without burdening her? #4. Is it going to be fair to the dog, trust fund or no trust fund? I don't think my dad's GSPs would answer "Yes" to that one.

Alan

KY Jon #537041 02/11/19 05:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan, with all due respect, the moral of your experience sounds like “make a good choice of breed” rather than your take away which appears to be “don’t get a dog”.

GSP’s are a handful anytime. But having said that, you have my sympathies. As do those two dogs.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting dogs can't be let to run wild and expect any kind of good outcome.

Before getting any breed of hunting dog you need to be sure of its employment. If I wasn't sure I'd hunt over the breeds I was considering at least once before I made my decision.

Labs make great duck hunting retrievers they make good pets if you like cleaning up after a horse, they also have spiked hair which is a chore to clean up after...

Remember one thing about any breed of hunting dog the dog either has the natural ability and drive to hunt or it doesn't...no way for anyone to put it there by training all anyone can ever hope to do with a dog is just polish the edges.

Dogs take a big commitment be sure you are up to the task.

KY Jon #537047 02/11/19 08:33 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Remember one thing about any breed of hunting dog the dog either has the natural ability and drive to hunt or it doesn't...no way for anyone to put it there by training all anyone can ever hope to do with a dog is just polish the edges."

How true!

I'm three years into my last, of many dogs. GSP's, GWP's some crosses too. All were adequate, most good to very good. All had quirks, likely due to me and my mistakes in training. This last dog is a good fit all around. At this point I am satisfied to have a more disciplined and attentive dog than a hard charger!

I won't get another dog after this one. None of my kids bird hunt. My wife is kind but is not a dog person, my girl would go to waste in the kennel. I wouldn't foist her off on my friends, the dog, or the wife! There's other things to hunt that don't require a dog and I like to fish, hike, travel etc. Not saying I won't miss them. I think, (and hope), I have the timing about right!

KY Jon #537057 02/11/19 09:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sheesh, what happened to a box of chocolate? Lucky man Jon! My vote is for a dog, because 42's don't do a thing for me. Maybe I lack taste...

KY Jon #537058 02/11/19 09:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
My wife asked me what I wanted for Valentine’s Day. Told her I could not decide between a new Lab puppy or another engraved 42 with a solid rib or maybe a vent rib. Been looking at one of each. You know the engraved 42’s just shoot better. The puppy holds more promise from an enjoyment end as I love to train them and watch them figure it out. Damn if she didn’t say why not both. We are not going to be here field ever. Think I’ll keep her. Got to make a couple of calls about a dog.

Jon...do you realize how silly that sounds. I been married 42 years I'm not expecting a silly card let alone a gun.

I call bull chit jOn...

You should be on Jerry Springer because like he says "You can't make this chit up folks"

KY Jon #537063 02/11/19 09:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad went a lot of years with no dog. Then at about 45 he started with Irish setters. Some of them would hunt but it was all work. Regardless of whether or not you had to clean birds, you had to clean the dog. He showed some too, but that's even more work. Right at the end he gets these two GSPs. While he had the desire to do the work, he simply could not. By the time he got them he simply bought puppies from what was billed as hunting stock. When they showed no propensity in that regard, well, it was too late. He had them, two of them. He should not have gotten them, at all, in retrospect.

My point was adequately made by Mr. Canvasback, Mr. Homelessj0e, and Mr. ChiefAmungum, which is why I do not have the inclination to get another puppy. I might have 15 years left, I might have 25, or I might have 5 min. Personally, and I stress that I am speaking for myself and not attempting to persuade or dissuade anyone, nor disparage their personal choices, I will likely choose not to get a puppy.

Alan

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.