September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, eeb, bbman3, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 464 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,854
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/ny-safe-act-online-ammo-sales-p-58633.aspx

According to this Internet Ammo sales in NY are OK.
Bob Jurewicz

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob,

NO. THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT SAY
that NYS residents may now purchase ammunition online unfettered.

This issue is 3 years old already. This memorandum of understanding addressed ONLY the "database" aspect of the hideous NYSAFE law.

That this retailer decided to interpret it differently is their business. As I stated previously, out-of-state retailers are [in some cases] taking refuge in the laws of their own state [and the U.S. Constitution], in aid of selling ammo to NYers. While I applaud their 2A zeal, that isnt going to help a guy who gets charged with doing this as a "crime." And out-of-state sellers' legality in selling to NYers is not the same thing as NYers legal ability to purchase it. The key distinction this seller does not make is that it is legal for NYers to purchase ammo online SO LONG AS it is shipped to an FFL. But it is NOT legal to buy it and have it shipped to yourself, as if you were buying anything else online.

You have to believe that the Left is just LOOKING for that first instance of someone committing some other ACTUAL crime, who can then also be charged with buying ammo online "illegally" (by having it shipped to themselves), so that then an entire political narrative can be constructed where the criminality of online ammo purchases can be spotlighted.

Heck, then they might even feel emboldened enough to force banks to disclose debit card activity, etc. You know, for everyone's "safety." Your bank is probably going to be more than willing to do this, as some of them are already squirrelly about LEGAL firearms purchases.

It's important to know the truth of these stupid laws so people don't get tripped up in process crimes. Process crimes are the mother's milk of bureaucratic tyranny. Bureaucrats are a key tool for despotic regimes.

How do you think they would enforce all that 'good stuff' in the Green New Deal?

- NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

This portion addresses both data base and on line sales.
"The MOU, which was signed by New York State Director of Operations James Malatras and Senate Majority Leader John Flanagan, puts an end to the portion of the act that would establish a database and require those who purchase ammunition to undergo a background check. It also ends the moratorium on on-line purchases of ammunition”.
It is my understanding that even altra-carefull Cabelas is shipping to NY. I'll have to try and confirm this.
Bob Jurewicz

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob,

Part of the problem with the confusion over all of this is the idea of using a Memorandum of Understanding...vs the law on the books. Because courts don't enforce memorandums.

So while it's one thing to create a memorandum regarding a database that never even existed in the first place...a "thing" -- it's wholly another to interpret a memorandum as having effectively nullified an existing law as regards the legality of something. No "memorandum" can do that.

So either:

(A) the NYS Legislature rescinds all or part of the law, and Prince Andy signs it

OR

(B) the State Supreme Court recognizes the un-constitutionality of the law, and nullifies it

Anything else is little more than an argument. And that's exactly why, when you ask this question DIRECTLY to the NY State Police..."Can I purchase ammunition online and have it shipped directly to my home, exactly the way I could prior to 1/15/2014?" they will state flaccidly something like this:

"We would advise citizens to follow the laws as they are written."

Basically, you will not get the answer you are looking for. And that's because the 'cover' you are looking for isn't there. The law still SAYS what it originally SAID. And until the Legislature or Supreme Court change that...it is exactly as it was written.

If you ask the State Police, "Can I buy ammo online?" They will say yes. Because in the strictest sense, that answer is true. But drill deeper about needing an FFL or "registered commercial purchaser" status...and they will punt. Because there is simply no dancing around the fact that the law on the books remains as it was written.

Caveat emptor.

- NDG

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh, and on your suggestion about Cabelas. AGAIN, this is NOT about whether an out of state seller can sell to NYers.

It's about the legality of NYers making purchases to be shipped to their homes or businesses, without special registration or FFL.

Out-of-state sellers have different legal concerns. And depending upon what state they sell from, they may care a lot, or very little, about what effect NY's laws have on them.

Even if Cabelas would agree to sell to a non-registered, non-FFL NY addressee...that STILL wouldn't make it legal for the purchaser. But I seriously doubt Cabelas would do it if it weren't legal for the purchaser, even if technically legal on their end.

- NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several of us have recently tried to order ammo from Cabela's and Mack's Prairie Wings, shipped to an FFL in California, completely legal. Both refused to ship to our FFLs for transfer to us. My calls to Cabela's corporate were not returned. So I just don't do any more business with Cabela's or Mack's, for anything. That would probably be my response to Cabela's even without the ammo issue, because I intensely dislike Bass Pro.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
And why would one need these?

Because shooting an under lever damascus barreled hammer gun while wearing ‘gay apparel’ and sporting a beret and monocle while smoking a calabash pipe isn’t weird enough for some people.

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lonesome Roads,

I nearly lost my top hat and spilled my afternoon side car when I read your comment!

If there's anything that get's my cravat in a knot it's when guys like you... *trailing off*

- NDG

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.