June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (KDGJ, azgreg, HalfaDouble, buckstix, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,176
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

".... and trying to pass them off as English high quality guns. Powell is one there junk ....."

I don't think this is quite fair. Powell, certainly in their former days in Birmingham, were very open that the "Heritage" series guns as they were called then were from continental makers. It is well known that today's Powells are not English, though they have dropped the "Heritage" name.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 02/14/19 05:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do know that Arrieta built guns for Powell.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Monkey metal?"" What exactly is the metallurgical composition in AISI numericals?? Most forged steel receivers, etc. are in the 4140 range- not certain about the "lodt wax" or "investment cast" metals Bill Ruger used. I am a welder by trade, and am always looking to learn more about metallurgy--Thanks- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, It is my experience that many actions are investment castings or even sintered. Component parts such as levers are often not heattreated / hardened as necessary. Welding repairs can often be problematical due to inclusions in the metals. I am sure metal analysis before welding would help but time is money and the 'foreigners' are not good to weld .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had 6 English doubles from W&C Scott, J Dickson to J Purdey self opener and 7 spanish sidelocks. Maybe I have been lucky but the internals of the spanish guns, where they might skimp, have been perfect, finished to a high degree. The only issue I have seen is fitting of the forearm wood to metal on some of the spanish guns was not perfect. Naturally the engraving on an AyA #2 doesn't compare to a Purdey. I have a pair of Arietta's made for Griffin and Howe that I would compare to anyones guns.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see in the current edition of Covey Rise, that , is it Michael, Louca is making Watson Bros. guns in house except for the forgings and engraving. The article says they make 10-12 per year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes
If you drop in youll see him at the bench.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm learning from this conversation. It strengthens my judgement and biases toward shotguns. I have one "English" gun, a good-condition 1913 A&N 12 gauge. Embellishments aside, it's more than enough for me. Handloading also puts in good use my American "classics." I think of all of them as practical bests for me, and that's all that counts, eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think most guns made to sell "off the rack" are less expensive guns, made God knows where. If you go to a gunmaker of repute you can buy a gun made completely in the UK.Quality costs money and, like elsewhere, the mass produced O/U is what sells to most shooters.

I prefer to shop amongst the guns on the 'pre-owned' market and have done well buying very high quality guns for reasonable money. I have bought one or two "English" guns made with Spanish locks and with generally lower quality workmanship. These I have returned to the seller.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Steve Helsley
John Rigby & Co. is building rising bite double rifles and shotguns in London.

Additionally, their Mauser bolt rifles are made as they were as per the original
contract c.1898. Mauser in Germany supplies the barreled actions and Rigby in London does the rest.

Rigby isnt making the rising bite actions in house, they are made to an extremely high degree by ex-Purdey machinist now independent Ian Clarke outside of London but still in England. They only finish in house, and recently Ive seen they are outsourcing some of that as well.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.