Originally Posted By: Cameron

In some ways I wish I wouldn't have messed with it and yes I scoped it without any alteration. It is patterned off the P14/M1917 Enfield action. It's a large action and as far as I know doesn't need a whole lot of alteration to accept some of the very large calibers. I read some time ago that Art Alphin of A-Square used the P14/M1917 actions for many of his proprietary large bore caliber rifles.

The late Fred Wells of Wells Gun Shop did his .50 Wells rifles on the Pattern 17 Enfield actions. The .50 Wells was a .460 Weatherby Magnum necked up to .50 caliber. The Remington Enfield action handled it without modifications.
I have a Remington Enfield Pattern 17 custom rifle built on that action in the 1950's. It's a beautifully done rifle, but of the 1950's style with a squarish forearm, vs. most the nicely shaped forearms of pre War customs. Mine is a walnut with rosewood tip on forearm and pistol grip, and some sort of blonde wood thin spacer between the stock and tips. It's in the original .30-06, but with a new Douglas Premium barrel.
I bought this gun from an elderly gentleman in the 1970's for deer and elk hunting. Took a lot of deer and a couple elk with it. It's been retired for over a decade now as I hunt with 1800's single shots ever since.

Last edited by Vall; 02/19/19 11:38 AM.