June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ken Nelson, Bluestem, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,487
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Hunting, as a pastime, is safer, by a wide margin, than many sports and other outdoor activities. It is safer than bicycle riding, badminton, tennis, running, and any team sports.

Attempting to make it safer is noble, but, ignores the fact that perhaps that effort really belongs in other pastimes? When Im in the woods hunting, I am pretty much my own guardian, much different than when I am riding down WI. highway 35, on the shoulder on my bicycle, and at the mercy of drivers and their connected devices.

I suggest we could start with the use of a connected device in a motor vehicle while said vehicle is in operation being a felony, with an automatic 25 year sentence, and a minimum $150,0000 fine. The same crime, where a bystander is killed or injured, mandatory life sentence.

I believe this would make the world a far safer place than any remedial hunter safety courses.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

I think the distinction can be found where an accident with a gun consistently has more tragic results then an accident with a football. And you are right about driving, an accident with a motor vehicle has the best potential to be as tragic as one with a gun. Driving, as an activity has much much more participation then with shooting or hunting, hence the rightfully high levels of regulation. But I think your example might be overkill.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

But you can't fix willful stupidity and the government shouldn't be in the business of legislating common sense. In fact, the widespread growth of the nanny state just works to exacerbate these kinds of problems by encouraging the abdication oy personal responsibility. Stupidity should have consequences.

I'm not so sure that requiring hunters to show a higher level of proficiency in recognizing safety risks would qualify as "nanny state".

On the other hand, requiring hunters to wear kevlar vests...

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
[ Some folks just feel safe with a little card in their pocket, as long as it hasn't expired.

It is not just the card, it is the eduction and proficiency one has to show to earn it. But hey, just spitballing an idea to address a problem, or we could let Darwin's theory play out and let the stupid weed themselves out of the gene pool. I'm ok with that too, but when were are dealing with guns, there is no guarantee that the incidents of stupidity only effect the stupid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In aviation there is a lot of emphasis put on the decision making process, start to finish, and how one bad decision can spark a second, etc.

In the context of decision making, nothing about this hammer ban has anything to do with exposed hammers. Even the solution to the very avoidable problem was flawed, and no one is any safer for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
....when were are dealing with guns, there is no guarantee that the incidents of stupidity only effect the stupid.

You might refeel this. It's more likely that when dealing with people, the stupid ones affect everyone. Why not outlaw stupidity, instead of imposing more laws on the non stupid?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A better approach would be to educate the stupid as opposed to outlawing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know this saying is so true to us gun using folks no matter what country you live in. "Familiarity breeds contempt" it also could fit many other situations other than shooting.
Some of you will have probably seen this advice many times before and I make no apologies for posting it again because Mark Hanbury Beaufoy got it so very right, especially the third verse in this situation.
A FATHERS ADVICE

If a sportsman true you be.
Listen carefully to me:

Never, never let your gun.
Pointed be at anyone:
That it may unloaded be.
Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross,
Though of time it cause a loss,
From your gun the cartridge take.
For the greater safetys sake.

If twixt you and neighbouring gun.
Bird may fly, or beast may run,
Let this maxim eer be thine
Follow not across the line

Stops and beaters oft unseen
Lurk behind some leafy screen:
Calm and steady always be,
Never shoot where you cant see.

Keep your place and silent be:
Game can hear and game can see:
Dont be greedy, better spared
Is a pheasant than one shared.

You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
All the Pheasants ever bread
Wont repay for one man dead.

This was written by Mr Mark Hanbury Beaufoy. Coombe House, Shaftsbury, Dorset, England. On presenting his eldest son Henry Mark Beaufoy with his first gun at the turn of the previous Centaury.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

This might also be part of the older school-with a Colt revolver- single action like the Army 1873-- carrying the weapon with one chamber empty, and the hammer down on that empty chamber- If you were "un-horsed" and you landed so that the ground made contact with the hammer spur-- OK-- you got lucky--

Years ago, a distant relative who rode with Patton in the Mexican campaign against Pancho Villa-and who carried a 1873 Colt sidearm, explained this to me--words of wisdom--

A boyhood chum "got lucky" at age 13-- we had been out duck hunting, he had a 12 bore Iver Johnson Champion-- we pulled up the canoe in the rainstorm, and ran for the cabin-- he ran back to get his shotgun, and pulled it out from the seat by the barrel- the hammer got caught, tripped- and a "dud" common with wet paper shells of the 1950's--went off with enough force to sprinkle the Old Town canoe with birdshot- missing him by a whisker--

"If a fence or stile you must cross-though of time it may cause a loss- from you gun the cartridge(s) take, for the greater safety's sake--You may kill, or you may miss, but at all times think of this-- All the pheasants ever bred, will never repay for one man dead"---RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/02/19 04:27 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
What do we ban in this instance ?

We could ban stupidity. But, then there there would be no one left in Sacramento.

Or Austin, Denver, Portland or any number of other urban blue dots in a sea of red.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: nca225
....when were are dealing with guns, there is no guarantee that the incidents of stupidity only effect the stupid.

You might refeel this. It's more likely that when dealing with people, the stupid ones affect everyone. Why not outlaw stupidity, instead of imposing more laws on the non stupid?

nca225 would be up chit crick without a paddle....

Just my observations.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.