September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FallCreekFan, damascus, ArtLavely, GETTEMANS, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 661 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,855
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#53711 08/25/07 02:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I looked at a 12 Ga. Diamond Charles daly today, barrels are 30" uncut and choked full and full,it has ejectors. Gun is a little loose on the hinge pin, Stock has an extension added to the butt, however it was inletted to the butt plate. Length of pull is now 15 1/2 in. All writing on the barrel is gold as is the dogs and birds on the reciever.Gun appears to be a light wt. model. Blue is worn and the stock finish is also worn, checkering is good. Can some body give me a ball park figure as to its worth. He is asking $2,000. Thanks David Lien

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't sell any of my Diamond grade CDs for that price, but every gun is only worth what someone is willing to pay.............
best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,

Is this a SxS Prussian Daly you are looking at???

Assuming it is, buy the gun quickly. Unless there is something disastrously wrong with the gun, the gun is worth significantly more than $2K. You didn't mention if the gun has damascus or fluid steel barrels. With the gold engraving you are likely looking at a model 325 or 375 (again, assuming we are talking about a SxS Prussian-made Daly). The 375 will have much heavier/deeper engraving.

With some cleaning up (tighten action, reblue, refinish), you are looking at a gun worth north of $6K.

Let us know.

Good luck,
Ken

-And if it is a Prussian Daly, AND you don't want it, please let me know who I can call :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope to hell you get it and post pictures here once you do so!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken; The gun has very deep engraving. It also has steel barrels. Yes it is a Prussian made gun. The gold work is very well done. does not have the spur butt plate, but maybe I could find one. Thank you all for your quick responce. David LIen

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,
get off the computer and go get it now!!That type of deal,Prussian Daly steel barrels with gold work,does not lay around long,the seller will either come to his senses or someone else will scoop it up.
Best,
Dave K

Last edited by Dave K; 08/25/07 07:05 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you come to your senses and have the gun in hand?
If you don't want the loose old thing, I will give you a fast 500% profit.:}
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
how come we can't find deals like that that here in NH?
Well every once and a long while one does pop up
Best,
Dave K

Last edited by Dave K; 08/25/07 07:07 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Way to go, Dave. Another sunny day duck gun to add to the clutter. I bought one today too (not a Linder Daly). I wonder what we'll find tomorrow? I haven't seen a lot of 30" lightweights. Some are marked as such. Can Ken Georgi tell us how to recognize a "lightweight" if it is not marked as such? What is the serial number, Dave? Ken is keeping track of such things. Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,

Did you get it? If you did, I'm sure the board would love to hear some more about it. If you'd be willing, I'd like to add the details to the Prussian Daly database. You can contact me at kkgeorgi@comcast.net

Bill,

I just wrote up an article that should be out in the next version of the German Gun Collector pub that deals with a lightweight Daly. As the article gets into, the only SD&G catalogs that I have seen that specifically mention a "lightweight" model end in the mid-1890s. None of my post-1898 SD&G catalogs (about 15) mention a lightweight model. But later lightweight Dalys obviously exist and are marked as such directly on the rib. 12 gauge guns in the 5.5 - 6.0 lb range with 26" tubes are common.

The question of "unmarked" lightweight Dalys has come up and has not been definitively answered. The SD&G catalogs do provide a range of weights that Daly guns could be order. But does specifying a gun be built to a lighter weight make it a "lightweight" gun? One theory is that on the "lightweight" guns the weight savings were achieved in part by using guns with smaller/thinner actions. So if a gun was built on the smaller frame, it could probably be considered a "lightweight" gun.

As of yet, I have not been able to take the measurements a "lightweight" (marked as such) Daly and compare it against a "standard" gun OF THE SAME VINTAGE.

If someone owns a lightweight Daly and some calipers, and wouldn't mind sharing the dimaensions (and the serial #), we might be able to answer the question. I'm sure we could find a gun within 100 serial numbers to compare it against.

Ken

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.