May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, skeettx, old colonel), 336 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,340
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
....Strom Thurmmond was a Democrat until Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act. He then switched to the Republican Party to oppose the new law.

Yabut Bill, what about the dems that didnt change partys? Stroms been gone for a bit, dont you remember dems getting Lott to step down because he wished ole Strom a happy birthday?

Didnt that old coot Byrd make it well into your new and improved progressive era? Nice fellow, eh?

Does Bill know who George Wallace is?

Really Bill, it's a matter of public record who started and supported the KKK. As it is a matter of public record which party supported emancipation and every other advancement that moved blacks from slaves to members of American society.

The fact that the Democrats, in the 1960's, made a wholesale, cynical and strategic swap of policy to suddenly portray themselves as the savior of the black man and people like you don't understand that, just shows why young people today know so little.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not young, and I fully grasp that the two major parties which switched roles. Republicans today would like to take credit foe Lincoln, but if Lincoln were alive today, he'd have no use for Republican policy. He and Trump make the perfect contrast. As Shakespeare says, "What a falling off was there." I do know who George Wallace WAS. He was an AH. The deep South has a long tradition of blue dogs; they were wrong then and they're wrong now. Party affiliation can't redeem them.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 03/29/19 04:07 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing most people do not realize, because they have been lied to for over 150 years concerning history, is the black Race was not looked upon any lower in the South than in the North. The South wanted the Black people there as slaves, The North simply wanted them "GONE". How many of you know that in the State of IL, until After Lincoln was Dead, a black person was prohibited from owning property in at least most of the state. My Wife can "Personally" remember when she was a young girl a black family purchased (Or Rented) a house in a small town in Franklin County IL. They moved most of their furniture, except their beds, one day & went back to their old home for the night. The next day upon arriving at their new home with their beds, there was no house to put them in, It had "Mysteriously" Burned to the Ground.

Old Abe Lincoln hisself was about the "Worst" friend the Black people ever had, he wanted them all shipped to either the Caribbeans or Back to Africa. He made no bones about the fact he felt them as an inferior race & they could Never, live as equals to White folks in the same society.

Former Slave Trader Nathan Bedford Forrest actually held the Black Race in Higher Esteem, than did Lincoln.

I certainly do not deny that Racial Prejudices & Biases have existed in this nation since the day the First Black Man set foot on American soil. What I am saying that Shouting North vs South or Republican vs Dem is like the Pot Calling the Kettle Black, it existed, & still does today, Nationwide.

Just because a group uses it politically to "Buy Votes" does not of itself mean they are "Not Guilty".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
I'm not young, and I fully grasp that the two major parties which switched roles. Republicans today would like to take credit foe Lincoln, but if Lincoln were alive today, he'd have no use for Republican policy. He and Trump make the perfect contrast. As Shakespeare says, "What a falling off was there." I do know who George Wallace WAS. He was an AH. The deep South has a long tradition of blue dogs; they were wrong then and they're wrong now. Party affiliation can't redeem them.

So do you get that the switch was/is a cynical ploy about votes? That almost every initiative championed in the last 40-50 years by the Dems on HOW to solve the inequality has done nothing but further the divide? Why? Because Dems in Washington don't really care...they simply care about the votes.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the time in question, there weren't enough republicans in Alabama to pass any law, anyway, racism and the Klan were pretty active north of the Mason -Dixon line. Since there were no republicans around here, there weren't any in the clan. I can remember when most folks around here were pretty violently anti Republican. Dixiecrats were still Democrats. It wasn't a racist plot, it was a general understanding. In my county, the sheriff and coroner still have to run on the Democrat ticket to win.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember George Wallace "Standing in the School House Door" and his speeches about segregation. BUT I also remember that he made the state start furnishing school books, instead of having student's families furnish them. I remember when he had the lunchrooms feed breakfast, and had the state furnish decent clothing, all to allow our colored brothers a real chance to go to school and learn. That helped more than just giving some money, that didn't always go to the kids. I didn't go to school with them, but I did work with them for the county, as "day hands", for $5/day. I remember one telling me White folks aren't prejudiced, when he worked in the yard for white women in Tuskegee, they would fix ice water or tea for him; but when he worked for a light skinned African American( he used the "N" word), they wouldn't even let him drink from the yard faucet. He said that was prejudice.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I accept that George Wallace had a change of heart. Strom Thurmond was recalled fondly ( as I recall) by his biracial daughter whom he had the decency to support financially. And undoubtedly there were Northerners who wished that blacks would disappear. However, the anti- slavery movement and the underground railroad were Northern causes. I believe that both Grant and Lee would have opposed bump stocks and Jefferson Davis and Lincoln would have, too.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 03/29/19 08:58 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets not whitewash history. Nathan Bedford Forest was the commander of the rebel forces that massacred the mostly African American garrison at Fort Pillow while they were trying to surrender. Although I doubt the Southern history will tell that account. He was also the first Grand Wizard of the KKK. He is not someone to be revered.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Folks- it is sure strange to me how my question about the"bump stock ban" morphed into a heated exchange about: (1) the KKK and its history in America- (2) racism today, and its roots in American History- including the War Between the States-- Most wars are fought for reasons of political or economic gains, or both- But that may not have been the reasons behind the bloodshed in our Country from 1861 to 1865. Some scars never heal, do they. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Folks- it is sure strange to me how my question about the"bump stock ban" morphed into a heated exchange about: (1) the KKK and its history in America- (2) racism today, and its roots in American History- including the War Between the States-- Most wars are fought for reasons of political or economic gains, or both- But that may not have been the reasons behind the bloodshed in our Country from 1861 to 1865. Some scars never heal, do they. RWTF

No Fox, it's not strange at all. We are multi issue people, and not just clinging to our guns and bibles. If you prefer historical tidbits, that's fine. I know Bill likes them, because he can throw out some gratuitous critisism of a straw man dem, when all along he's a hundred percent in step with all of the tactics, policies and results of TODAY's dem.

The bumpstock is an issue of today, just as all the other baggage is of some folks vision for the America of tomorrow.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.