Not to my knowledge, and although I've seen my share of unusual Smith guns; I'm not aware of any pre-production or prototype Smith guns. I've seen a display featuring variations of the Hunter One-Trigger, cut-away guns, guns with various additional internal frame cuts for lightening purposes, a variety of special ordered guns with features out of grade, and two 10-bore guns fabricated by Hunter's repair shop (one of which I own). The most unusual Smith gun I've personally seen is a repair shop gun. This gun started life as a rare C Grade Syracuse era 10-bore hammer gun with pistol grip. It's original owner, Charles Strawn, traveled around with the big shots of that period shooting his gun in competition. In 1893 he used the gun to win the grand prize at a big shoot in the mid-west, a B Grade Parker hammerless with Damascus barrels (verified by PGCA, and this Parker remains in the Strawn family). At some point after 1901 the barrels only of this hammer gun were returned to Hunter's repair shop and used as the basis for a "new" straight gripped Grade 2E ejector gun with optional HOT trigger. The Syracuse, New York address still remains atop the barrels and the original Syracuse era serial number was stamped on the water table of the new frame, which is grade stamped 2E. The C grade stamp on the barrel flats was over stamped "2".