June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Licensed to kill, Hugh Lomas), 246 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,168
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: oskar
Why not just use 2 1/2" shells in 2 1/2" marked shotguns? They are readily available, same with hulls and components. Even discarded inexpensive 2 3/4" Euro hulls can be had for free and cut down. Mec makes adaptors for their reloaders to load 2 1/2" shells. I have Mec's in 16ga and 12ga set up for 2 1/2"

I don't even bother with 2 3/4" shells any longer, 2 1/2" shells work just fine in my 2 3/4" guns and I never have to sort through shells to make sure I have the correct ones. Even all my waterfowl loads are in 2 1/2" using ITX or Bismuth. The only 2 3/4" loads I do any longer are 1 1/4 ounce coyote loads for my combo guns.

I doubt there are many 2 1/2" chambered shotguns used for really high volume shooting where loading or buying 2 1/2" shells would be problematic.

The flip side of the above is also true. If you reload 2 3/4" American hulls to appropriate pressures, you have no need to buy 2 1/2" shells. But why bother, since 2 1/2" factory shells are indeed available . . . assuming you have them on hand before you head to Bowbells, North Dakota for your next hunt--where I guarantee you won't find them at the local Wal-Mart (assuming there is one). So, in either case, you need to have appropriate ammo on hand, and you can do it either by buying 2 1/2" factory shells . . . or by making your own by using readily available 2 3/4" hulls.

The advantage of making your own: If you shoot your 2 1/2" gun very much--and I've put thousands of rounds through various 2 1/2" guns over the years--you will save enough money to buy yourself another 2 1/2" gun (or two). Reloading for the 12ga in particular, it's very easy to achieve low pressures, and it's very inexpensive.

Take your pick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Larry. I assume that was the 2 1/2” chamber with a 7/16” forcing cone “British chamber”.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With over sixty seasons under my belt, I've yet to have to have to go to the local store to buy shells for my shotgun. My father did have to go to the local store(Lily, WI)to buy shells for a borrowed shotgun, sure enough they had 2 7/8" 10ga on the shelf but that was 1957.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read in the past & it was written by a "Qualified" Ballistician. There are numerous factors which all play an important role in determining pressures in a Rifle & all must be considered. In a shotgun, the pressure is built into the shell with few outside factors of much consequence.

The few caveats worth mentioning are;
1st As already stated the built-in pressure should definitely be compatible with the gun intended to be used with said shells.
2nd, the above statement about the pressure being built into the shell assumes the crimp is free to open. Two things which can affect this are the "Loaded" shell enters the cone which restricts the opening of the crimp. This is a strog possibility if loading a roll crimp true 2 3/4" case in a 2˝" chamber. As already mentioned a stepped chamber rather than a cone is also a No-No. I have always relied on my own judgment rather than going to a "Qualified" Gunsmith but its hard for me to imagine anyone with enough knowledge to make a decision about using the longer hull who would not check out the cone. A quick glance into the breech will show that step as opposed to a cone.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.