September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, skeettx), 198 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,925
Posts550,795
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
While the BSS is reliable, I have seen two of them "off face" and they are surely over heavy.

I think someone offered the opinion that the Miroku 500 was a better gun than the BSS. For however little it might matter, I agree...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=2-piper]The three main action designs for break open double guns are; sidelock, boxlock & trigger plate. A boxlock does not have to be of Anson Deely design to qualify as such. There were even muzzle-loaders well before Anson & Deely which were called BoxLocks because the firing mechanism was placed "In the Box" (Frame) rather than on a side plate. [/quote

Thats exactly why I said Usually in my post Miller. Hard to argue that when we refer to a BL, its USUALLY in reference to an A&D because there were many more of that type action & system built than any other mousetrap design that could also be referred to as a boxlock. The MF Ideal is a trigger plate (in a sense) striker fired lever cocked action. Its literally the furthest thing from a BL.

I like Lefevers too btw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

regarding bss guns going off face...

all boxlock guns will go off face, if heavily used and not lubed at the hinge pin...

bss guns are favorite of competitive cowboy action shooters, who prefer heavy loads...

plus, the few competitive sporting clays shooters i know of who shoot sxs guns, all prefer browning bss guns...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

If, by Best, when you are talking boxlocks, you mean most reliable, I guess Id start with a basic A&N, sans either ejectors, or a single trigger. As George Hoenig
says, If they arent there, they cant cause you problems. Make sure it is double under bolted, then add a third fastener. Disc set strikers are a must. Specify 3 proof. Either 12 or 20 gauge to make things easy.
There are Italian, English, and Spanish guns that were produced in this configuration. Any would likely hold up well in the field, and require little in the way of skilled maintenance. Sear angle and access to locks seems to be more of a sidelock issue.
Someone on this website who claims he owns and uses American guns because he is poor, isnt being honest. Actual poor guys who want a double should start looking at guns off the continent, not American guns. Double guns from Belgium, France, and Germany are often far better buys.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

and as for the best bang for the buck...cannot beat the stevens 311...

Last edited by ed good; 04/30/19 04:46 PM.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The best boxlock action is the Perazzi action used first on the DC1 SxS in the mid-60s, and still being used on the DC12 today. The unique action is based on the MX8 OU action but with a hook under each barrel, with locking bars that engage the action at the standing breech. Keep it clean and lubed and it will last forever. The twin barrel hooks make so much sense. Recoil comes straight back minimizing off center torque. I dont know why no one thought of it before Mr Perazzi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

tradition....

Sidelock
Sidelock

BSS guns are shot by sporting clays shooters often because they're easy to shoot well, and because they are easily replaceable, not because they don't go off face, ................. even when "lubed at the hinge pin". Their "greatness", if indeed there is any, is because they are so easy to shoot well.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is probably much easier to build a durable gun that wears well and long at 8 lbs, then it is to get the same results at 6 lbs.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
The best boxlock action is the Perazzi action used first on the DC1 SxS in the mid-60s, and still being used on the DC12 today. The unique action is based on the MX8 OU action but with a hook under each barrel, with locking bars that engage the action at the standing breech. Keep it clean and lubed and it will last forever. The twin barrel hooks make so much sense. Recoil comes straight back minimizing off center torque. I dont know why no one thought of it before Mr Perazzi.

Record shotguns prove that some one did: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198630

Markus

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.