June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (GMCS, Licensed to kill, Dan S. W., Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 298 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,957
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
If you ever look inside a J P Sauer you will discover what is well finished. Anything American made is finished for function ( highest grades excluded). The Germans look like they were making fancy watches not guns. Fanstic metal finish!
bill

Well said, Bill! My very first classic double was a pretty basic pre-WWII Sauer 16ga. When it developed a problem--the only issue it ever had in a couple decades' worth of pretty hard use, during which time it digested a few flats worth of high brass pheasant loads--I took it to my friend the local gunsmith to see if he could fix it (which he did). When he took it apart, he told me that it looked as if the makers expected someone to look inside and inspect their work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick, Parker is the American version of Purdey at the time, as you thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker and Purdey are as far apart as chalk and cheese.
Not to say that Parker guns were not serviceable firearms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

if price is a function of quality, then parkers are the best production sxs gun ever made in this country...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

This Parker and Purdey thing. To me it's a red herring. Both exist as two distinct things, although one of those things is related to the other.

Each is a company that made (or makes) shotguns.

But this conversation is really about the other thing both companies are and that is a brand name. Brand names are distinct from product and they have value.

But in the Purdey/Parker discussion here it's like we are trying to compare John Lobb to Bostonian. A comparison that makes no sense, except that they both make or made mens dress shoes.

It's Patek Phillipe to Omega.

There is no "American" Purdey. Nothing even close. It's not a bad thing there isn't (wasn't), it is just the way it is.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
if price is a function of quality, then parkers are the best production sxs gun ever made in this country...

Price is never a function of quality. Price is a function of value.

This should be obvious to a man who earns income from selling things.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Again, Rick's question: "Would they (Parkers) be considered the AMERICAN VERSION of Purdey for the time period?"

I think its been answered. None should be comparing Parker to Purdey.

For the hell of it, I looked up my plain-as-pudding A&N 12ga in Diggory Hadoke's wonderful The British Boxlock Gun and Rifle (Safari).

Referring to Webley&Scott as a common supplier to A&N, he wrote: "In fact, these may well be some of the best value sporting guns available today as the quality is "best" but the brand value in today's market is very low."

"Very low." All they lack is embellishment, prestige and the means to buy one. Just a thought. I lost my letter but I think it sold for 22 or 32 shillings in 1913. It looks and handles so nicely I'd take it anywhere.

PS--Page 205, Dig notes under buy the gun, not the name, referring to photos in the book: "The photographic evidence clearly points out the superior quality of some Charles Osborne and Army&Navy boxlocks to those of Purdey or Holland and Holland."

"The most famous and probably the most highly regarded of American-made side-by-side double guns is the Parker."---JO'C The Shotgun Book

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: ed good

Price is never a function of quality. Price is a function of value.

This should be obvious to a man who earns income from selling things.

I always think of price as independent of value and Value=Quality/Price

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, I had for about 10 years a beautiful A & N boxlock with exquisite engraving. Stock was too short and it had black powder only proofs on fluid steel barrels. Dated to about 1890. But it was a beautiful handling gun. A little longer stock and it would have stayed in the safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I should have said price is a component of value. Your equation has it right.

Price on it's own is simply a price, indicative of nothing else.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.