7shortmag,

First the easy part, these folks should have your stock (semi inletted) and I have dealt with them in the past. Prices are fair, quality is good. http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Stevens-shotgu-stocks.html

When you say hard to open, does this occur only when the gun is fired, when empty and cocked or uncocked? I have found some shells in SXS do not allow the firing pins to retract correctly (the pins stick) when the gun is fired causing a mechanical lock of sorts. If this is the case trying different brand of shells my correct it. If it happens when the gun in empty there is something else going on or the extractor is hanging up on the firing pins when opening.

As far as having to pull the barrels down to clear the action so shells can be inserted or removed, I have found this is not uncommon on these guns. You are overcoming the cocking mechanism & the main spring tension. Can it be corrected, probably by refitting the cocking rods but you may do more harm than good.

I am sure others will be by shortly with additional suggestions and recommendations...

Good luck and enjoy the new shotgun...
WBLDon