September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (buckstix, Drew Hause, Argo44, SKB, azgreg, 1 invisible), 405 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,871
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had an idea that might benefit many of us. We can learn lots from other's experiences and mistakes. So, what have you learned that might make another's time in the field more productive, easier or more fun? Anything that you can think of that you've learned while hunting that could help someone else would be appreciated. It can be special pieces of equipment, tactics, mindsets or anything else you feel has made your time afield more fun or productive.

I have high hopes for this thread. Here's a starter. These three little screw hooks are without a doubt the most useful things for a green timber duck hunter I can imagine. You just screw them into a tree where you choose to stand, and you can use them for several things in a morning's hunt. Hang your shell bag on one, or your gun, or your call lanyard, or a thermos of hot coffee, or a coat if it warms up too much for it ............. the list is only as small as your imagination. Screw them out when you leave, and all that's left is what looks like a woodpecker hole.

Let's just keep politics and personal grievances out of it, please. And all of you "lurkers" (and I do not mean that in a derogatory sense) who read but never post, please feel comfortable about sharing your ideas.

How about it? What have you learned in the field, woods or swamps over the years that might benefit others?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

i forgot most of hit...but...

unlike most other snakes, copperheads do not lay eggs...their young are birthed fully developed...so if you kill an expecting momma copperhead, best cut her open an kill the babies too...

king snake and coral snake have similar markings...coral snakes have black as first color on nose...coral snake bite will kill a kid...

how about when walkin down a trail in the summer time, where snakes are known to be about...look on the other side of a log before stepping over it...

if you sit quite and absolutely still about 20 minutes, the squirrels will eventually come out...

if your shotgun barrel is plugged with mud or snow, do not try to shoot it out...unless you want a shorter barrel...

moss usually grows on the north side of trees...usually...

carry two compasses in the woods...if you doubt one, consult the other...if they both give similar readings, best to believe them...unless you like being lost...

when lost in the woods, where the earth is rich in iron ore, neither compass will give an accurate reading...

downed trees and stone walls are a ruffed grouse's best friends...
they block your shot just when you pull the trigger...

owls are a ruffed grouse's worst enemy...

trained grouse hunting owls will eventually go rouge...

Last edited by ed good; 05/27/19 06:23 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is one for the dog we picked up, we use soccer socks, cut a length from the heel to toe, put his/her leg in through the sock backwards and open the hole you cut and place the head through, do it on the other side, adjust and you have a set of leggings to help the dog from getting cut up, or stave off infection if they are already raw.

Last edited by RARiddell; 05/27/19 06:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Great thread that you started, thanks!

I've found that instead of using plain water while upland/deep woods hunting, I use Gatorade sometimes cut 50/50 with water to stave off exhaustion, especially on warmer days. Just enough glucose to help until you come across that 100 year old apple tree deep in the woods!
Better to criticize a fellow hunter's wife, than his bird dog.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Biden says if you hear a noise outside just fire your shotgun in the air a few times....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been carrying a Mini-Leatherman on my belt when hunting for many years now. Varying uses, depending on what and where you're hunting:

Grouse country up this way: If your dog has a porkie encounter and it's not real bad, you can pull the quills and keep hunting.

Out West, comes in handy for pulling cactus spines, sandburs . . . and they have porkies in some places out that way too.

Not to mention a bunch of other uses for all the other tools on that gadget.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great tips, except for the Biden quote.

I prefer a Gerber Multiplier to the Leatherman, Larry, but most of that kind are very usable. Gerbers are one-hand deployable.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/27/19 07:39 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A pocket comb works great for pulling sand burs off dogs.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

These
https://www.ebay.com/i/121236979739?chn=ps

and a Stainless Steel Straight Mosquito Hemostat

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually Biden said fire your shotgun through your door....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.