The Remington 550 is another autoloading .22 that handles short, long, and long rifle cartridges. The 581 bolt action does as well.

I have pulled enough porky quills to know that I would never attempt it with either a hemostat, or, a leather man pocket tool. I have pulled hundreds of the damn things with a Snap On duck billed pliers. This tool has been along on too many hunts to remember:

Porky quills have a core that appears to be a solid, but, behaves a bit like a liquid. Squeezing the shaft too tight seems to expand the barb in the wound, and the longer the quill is in the dog, the more blood it wicks up, and expands in the wound. The serrations on the duck bill pliers are about perfect for holding the quill without smashing it flat.
I have never been around a porky incident that I consider minor. Ive delivered dogs to my vet after a porky incident, and have been told every, single, time, Good work, best to get as many out as you can, as soon as you can.

Im looking at you, ed, and calling BS.

It is better to have a buddy along, for a second set of hands and to calm the dog, but, Ive done it alone, too.

Porkys, and skunks, suck. I also, grudgingly, carry hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dishwashing liquid in the truck every trip. Havent had the pleasure with my own dogs, but, my Dad owned a setter that took pure delight in screwing with every skunk he ever met in his life.

Best,
Ted