One of the things I've learned from 59 years of dove shooting is that you can kill an incomer much, much farther than you think you can. When a bird is approaching you directly in front, you are looking at the best opportunity to get shot to his vitals. His head, breast and wing bones are looking right at you. In fact, if I could help a new dove shooter understand how important it is to take that shot on an incomer earlier than he thinks he should, I could help them immensely with their wing shooting. But, it's hard, very hard. As convinced as I am of it, I still tend to wait too long before taking the shot, then he flares, cuts and jives, screwing you into the ground. You twist around wildly, trying to get on him and end up missing once, maybe twice.

But, if you tell yourself to trigger that first barrel when the dove is at about 35-40 yards, by the time the shot arrives he is at more like 25-30, he usually hasn't flared from you, and you dump him out front and often have a chance to make it a double.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.