I think there's a bunch of 'proof' that pass through bullets don't shed as much energy into the target as they would if some how or another it stayed in the intended target. I think folks that hunt big game with cast bullets can confirm that there's a difference compared to using a predictable controlled expansion bullet. There're many other examples.

I prefer decent 22LR solids because they shoot better for me. Recently, my boy made a nice paced off ninety yard shot on a squirrel sized vermin. But, in that situation the surroundings were wide open with no worry about the report or range of the bullet that a short could definitely help with in closer quaters. If an arm is chamber for a short and has the proper barrel twist for a short, there's no other alternative.

I personally don't care for hollow point or high velocity 22LR's, because they just don't shoot as well for me and get damaged way more easily, making them shoot even worse. 22LR solids aren't 'explosive', but they certainly can fillet little things, which I can't say I've ever seen a short do. In the end, it's for fun, and it's no fun shooting things you don't feel like using.