September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Southern Sport, Acosta9204, graybeardtmm3, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 220 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,896
Posts550,553
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not just the extra clothes when the temps get cold, it is the ground coming up to meet you in the form of that white stuff.

I don't see 32" barrels much of anywhere.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The long barrel guys dont seem to be dedicated grouse or woodcock hunters. Im not saying they should be, but, Id bet if they got the chance, they would come to understand their 32 guns have a place, but, it isnt where these birds make a home.

All of us "long barrel guys" aren't the same, Ted. They (we) don't all think that 32" barrels are best for everything. Some are close minded, I'm certain. I'm not. Notice that I said that I'm fine with 26" barrels for pointed quail and woodcock, although I have done quite well on a few occasions in the quail woods with a 687 SPII Sporting 20 ga., with 30" barrels.

30 inch barrels are absolutely no hindrance on a good handling small bore in situations like the above, and I DO understand that not all quail are hunted in cover like that. I've hunted Gambel's in AZ in cover much different. I really think for flushing birds shorter barrels are fine, though I see no need to go any shorter than 28" for anything.

Sure would like to get the opportunity to hunt grouse someday. Looks like great fun.

Best to you, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
ed good #552352 08/07/19 10:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
stan: you sound like beto..."be quiet"...

Touche'

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
It can be. I have read more than than one time someone who wrote that grouse hunting reads better than it plays.

This is an older picture, taken on the edge or entry to a vey good grouse cover in Pine county, MN. Might have been late December, maybe 25 degrees or so, and we got to plinking with my Fathers, now my boys, .22 rifle.The boy and I had given up on grouse hunting that day, which, happens later in the season. Birds get tougher to find. The cover has lost its foliage, and you can see a bit of sky looking up. You dont typically stomp through the middle, but, this section backs up to a balsam/tamarack swamp, and makes a good edge to hunt. There is no good way to describe the hell hole that is a balsam swamp, save perhaps the warning you might die if you go in there, and cant get out. So, you will walk just inside an edge that looks remarkably like what you see in the photo.
I have blasted trees trying to swing on a bird, and had my 25 Darne barrels come to a screeching halt striking a tree and ending any chance of a shot.

Every grouse hunter has.

The grouse hunting of late has been disappointing, Stan. Wish you could have seen it back in the day.

Best,
Ted

HomelessjOe #552354 08/07/19 11:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]
stan: you sound like beto..."be quiet"...

Touche'

Just can't express how comforting it is when you and ed "side up". Two peas in a pOd.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
ed good #552355 08/07/19 11:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, sounds like you disagree...thats ok, we understand your need to be right...all of the time...

but dont demand that we go down the rabbit hole with you...

Stan you have to admit Ed nAiled you down pretty good with that one...

Just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The predominate barrel length for SC shooters in the US (using OU's) is 32".
30" is likely the predominate barrel length for those shooting autoloaders. I've noted that 30" barrel OU's may be more popular in the UK for SC's based on the guns offered for sale....I can't validate that 'cause I've never been across the pond. I have shot numerous tourneys in the US and know what's being used.Yes, I shoot a heavy 32" gun and furthermore I'd like to try a 34". cool

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I note here is that not one single person has mentioned the shooter's Stature. It seems purely unreasonable to me that a person 5' 8" tall (ME) would desire the same feel to a gun as one of 6' 6".
My personal preference leans toward a gun having a barrel length of around twice the pull length. In my case, as I am well fitted with a 14" pull this means a barrel length of 28", which does happen to be my personal favorite. I have shot well with barrels from 26" to 30" but the 28" remains my favorite.

Another thing that has not been mentioned is weight distribution of the barrel itself. Many years ago when I was still on the fence a bit about shooting Damascus, I had an FE grade Lefever sent to Italy for a set of steel barrels. It was a 7lb gun & I wanted to lighten it a bit so specified 26" barrels. Whichever one of the Bernadelies that did the work matched the weight identical to the 30" set. Consequently, it has thicker walls down the entire length than the originals.

I shoot either the original or the newer barrels about equally well. It has been my Go-To gun now for about 48 years. I use the steel barrels primarily because I had them bored with more open chokes, which better suit my needs.

Bottom line is there is a WHOLE LOT more to gun fit & Hit-ability than the mere act of stretching a steel tape down to see how long the barrels are. AND, one size doesn't fit All & not even the same person for all uses & occasions.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
ed good #552371 08/08/19 10:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

26" barrels have been a liability for sales for more than a decade now. This summer I sold my Joel Etchen custom target gun which had 30" barrels. Took a couple of months to sell it if it would had 32" barrels would likely have sold in a week. And I knew that when I purchased it 15 years ago.

I still have a B.Rizzini target gun with 30" barrels and 34" barrels would not be too long for it and the balance to be right. When I sold my JEG target Beretta was going to buy a Caesar Guerini summit impact with 32" barrels. But I get sidetracked easily by bright shiny objects and ended up with a 32" Pacific Sporting Arms 12 ga. Dickinson Plantation Sporter.

Don't care for recoil anymore and had an ISIS reduction system installed and an adjustable comb cut, it is a clays gun after all. And if I am shooting a 12 ga. I am shooting a full 9/8 oz load at 1200 fps or more.

Love my 28" 20 ga. Winchester 23 for clays but more times than not wish it was at least 30" especially on better courses especially ones setup for FITASC targets.

If you look at the question asked in that blog you posted it is:
I am considering moving up to 32-inch barrels from 30-inch barrels. Most of the shooters at my club now shoot with 32-inch barrels.

Reinforces what Stan says which is a correct statement. You will find many gas guns especially Beretta 390, 391's and A400's on sporting courses. And the men normally are shooting a 30". Which with the added length of the receiver puts them up around the length of a 34" double gun.

Ted been at least 10 years since have hunted Pine County, I keep going further North for ruff. Far enough North I might shoot a gray, red and spruce all in the same outing.

And hunt the prime age Aspen thickets and surrounding areas until dispersal. Preferably back in areas that are difficult for most people to access. This cover should make your heart skip a beat or 2.

Hard to swing much gun or even walk in most good grouse covers. I have hunted them in NY, Pa. Western NC, Washington State, Wi. and now Mn. Where ever I have been stationed or lived. After almost half a century of shooting at thousands of them instinctively my index finger goes to the trigger guard for the safety at the sound of the flush. Grew up hunting them with a 16 ga. 26" Ithaca 37 IC and still have my highest shot to harvest ratio with one.

And the English Ultralight Deluxe 16 ga. with 26" is about the same. For me.

Any other bird I can use a tang safety no problem. But reflexes are conditioned with grouse so kind of stuck with it. I do take a 16 ga. NEA 500 out at least once a year. I have 28" and 30" barrels for it but for grouse hunting the 30" is just a bit long so use the 28"

I hunt flushers so the hesitation to flip the tang safety at the flush cost me birds. But the dog still has a good time.

Arthritis is setting into my fingers and wrist and pumping is getting difficult for me some days. So last year picked up one of the new A5 Sweet 16 with 28" barrels, heck of a great handling gun. Even if it is a dreaded auto repeater. Had Briley cut the barrel and take 5" off, down to 23" and threaded for thinwalls. It is now about an inch shorter than a 26" 37 and because of the long receiver length same as a 28" double gun.

But the large radius grip hurts my wrists after carrying for a couple of hours so had Mark Larson shape it to the grip Browning should have put on them to start with.

Just about perfect now, will find out in about 6 weeks. But find a 26" double gun is just too short for me. However some do well with them.

Cold Iron #552373 08/08/19 10:56 AM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a happy dog and a darn good time!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.