Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
Larry, Good post. Like you I recently acquired a 28 lightweight Brit game gun (20ga, 5lbs 4ozs.) and have been impressed with its handling and accuracy. I am looking forward to testing it on grouse this winter. There will definitely be some thick cover one hand carry places. I also purchased a 28ga 30 boxlock from Birmingham which I wound up giving to a close family member and it has been fun to compare the dynamics of the two. Both are stocked to 15 with wood extensions.

No question the Brits know how to do "light"!

One reason my success at skeet with a gun as light as the Wilkes surprised me was that I tried 28ga light in the past--but slightly heavier, at 5 1/4. One of the Ugartecheas imported by Precision Sports, late 80's-early 90's, under the Parker-Hale name. Mine was the 25" version, Churchill rib and all. I didn't shoot skeet very well with it. Nor did it work out in the woods on grouse and woodcock. I'm not sure whether the longer barrels on the Wilkes are the difference, and I've yet to see how well it will do on feathered targets. But my results at skeet have my hopes up, for sure! And I also have a Webley & Scott 700 20ga with 26" barrels. Add a pound vs the Wilkes, but I think I can survive carrying it in thick and nasty places as well.