September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (earlyriser, Chantry, Drew Hause, 3 invisible), 435 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,873
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack,
It may waterspot if you take it through a car wash or put it in a dishwasher.Remember it's a recipe from England UK where we have a little rain all year (about 2 hours worth every day for about 340 days a year).
Now I can reveal the stock colouring trade secret (it's called Rust)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks more homogenous today. Sets up fast. I like it.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit

I applied a heavy coat of it to the forend and stock of my A&S Davies, Brighton (Brum) 12 bore and buffed off in the hope that this would cut into and amalgamate with the several coats of the beeswax paste already on it. Then applied a very small amt. of the slacum and rubbed it in until pretty much "set" and put it aside to "cure." I like the idea that I may be getting closer to a waterproofing with the carnauba. Let you know if I like it and if it waterspots.

jack

Is it going to really adhere to a waxed surface ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

HJ, the old stuff on the Davies was combi of beeswax, BL and turps but I did want to soften it a bit. The old stuff also had some cordovan shoe polish in it [McGyver equivalent of alkanet dye]. The buffing rag didn't pick up any red so I think the stuff was well set. Hadoke's recipe has carnauba in it; plant derived wax vs. insect produced but still a "wax". BL is BL; turps is turps; the horse cuticle reinforcer sure seems to be doing its job as a drier. I doubt if the word adhesion applies here as it would with paint on greasy woodwork or a sprayed coat of polyurethane over a coat which has completely cured. I'm thinking there really ain't no unlike between like and like in this case to produce "unamalgamated" layers. Maybe a feller with a microscope could section the stuff and ID layers. Fortunately, I don't have one and am content with whatever cookery {polymerization, oxidation) is going on here.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oops, I think Philbert and I are related. I said I made a half batch but in thinking back to what I did with the measuring cup, scale etc. and dumping some water in same sized bottle, I discover I halved the linseed (8 fl oz) but put in 2oz. turps, 2 tsps Venice turps, and now I remember loading 100 grains of wax in the scale pan twice and dumping in the soup can. Anyway, mine is setting well (I can feel the "drag") under heel of hand encouragement, kicking off in less than 12 hrs. and I'm happy with the build, the sheen, and immediate hardness and non-greasiness of the surface after buffing. I'll just relabel it "jackum" and make a note on DH's recipe.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit,

I reheated my concoction in a "double boiler" made from an old frying pan. I monitored the temperature with a candy thermometer and the oil never exceeded 180F even when the fry pan was at 400F. This second heating seemed to consolidate the constituents more as I've not noticed any settling. I poured off the mix into so small bottles. To one of these I added a small amount of beeswax. This made the mix more tacky but I don't think offers any advantages. BTW - I picked up an inexpensive candle heater and use that to warm the mix before use.

Still playing...

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm inclined to agree about the relative softness and lingering greasiness of the beeswax, Phil, from my experience with the Milsurp (Garand, '03) stuff. I imagine I'm pretty heavy on the drier given the proportions of Venice turpentine to BL but this stuff is just working great. Next time I'll write down precisely what amts. I'm going to use. There's an old rule of high wire artists and road racers that says "You go where you look." Look down=go down; look at the wall=hit the wall. Mind english! So I'm thinking about halving 200 grains and end up putting in 200 grains. I do think 10 oz. of this stuff is surely plenty. A pint + seems like enuf to supply Purdey for a year. The really peculiar aspect of using this stuff is that after 24 hrs. set aside, buffing rag isn't removing anything that I can see or smell. My previous supply of rags which I keep in a metal can would make waterproof tent cloth given the BL and wax content. Got to try those recipes from the "Shropshire Lad" also when get time. I gotta say this is a lot of fun!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

rabbit, (Jack),
I did a bit of research into 'slacum' and found the following.
Slake = to quench a thirst,(as in quenching the wood's thirst) To hydrate and allow to carbonise by subjection to oxygen.
Slake; from the Middle English word slacian to quench a thirst.
Slacian may have been corrupted by Trevallion's Peers who cor tork proper like us Brummies, into slacum especially if they had a mouthfull of pie and peas at the time of asking "What's your stock oil called?" Reply spoken with a full mouth "Slacum"
Just a thought, maybe we can test Crossed chisels on a mouthful of Lobster at the Vintagers?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeh like slaked lime. Sal, I kint tawk propah nytha even with an empty mouth but I'm still laughing at that picture. You've got a gift for descriptive humour.

jack

Boxlock
Boxlock

Found Venice turpentine at Horse Tack and Supply Store.16 0z. $9.00.It it is used to coat horses hooves to treat or prevent infection.Now I can mix my Slacum Oil.
R.Moon

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.