June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (ChiefAmungum, Kolar Dickson, ksauers1, Karl Graebner, Ted Schefelbein), 197 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,230
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1865 some steel shotgun barrels were produced by a cold drawn process but because of manufacturing and cost problems they were not competitive and their manufacture was discontinued.
Sir Joseph Whitworth patented his fluid compressed steel process in 1874. These dates bracket the time frame in which the first English shotguns were made with steel barrels.
It is interesting to note that adoption of steel barrels was slowed because "Gentlemen" could not differentiate between common steel used in musket barrels and fluid compressed steel! This was likely the reason why Sir Joseph insisted that barrels of his manufacture bear his name and the "Wheatsheaf" trade mark.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
The earliest shotgun that I have seen with steel barrels was a Thomas Horsley hammer gun #1968, circa 1872. This gun was unusual because the barrels were engraved," steel"! I have seen one other early gun by this maker that also had steel barrels.

I was browsing older threads and came across the above. In case anyone is interested I thought I'd add a note.
I have the remains of Horsley gun #1890 which, other than the barrels, is in horrible condition having been re-actioned in an extremely crude manner. In its heyday it was a classic Horsley bar in wood hammer gun with side cam mechanical extractors. Despite its demise, the barrels are in good condition and are similarly engraved "Steel" on the under side of the rib. I believe this is an 1871 gun based on David Baker's list of SNs.
Just some more data for those interested.

Perhaps one day I'll bring it back from the dead but it would definitely not be an economically viable proposition.

Jeremy

Sidelock
Sidelock

when did krupp start producing fluid steel shotgun barrels?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

The earliest shotgun non-pattern welded barrel steel would have been Bessemer/Decarbonized followed by Siemens
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnRLZgcuHfx7uFOHvHCUGnGFiLiset-DTTEK8OtPYVA/edit

Sidelock
Sidelock

thank you for sharing this wonderful info here...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes; thanks for posting that. Very interesting and informative.
Jeremy

Sidelock
Sidelock

1876-- read the book "The House of Krupp"- great details on steel making in Europe pre and post WW1.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another question for the sages on the board on this topic:
I'm trying to pin down the type and age of steel in a FN Sidelock I recently picked up. The underside of the barrels are "acier special a haute resistance" - which I take to be Cockerill special steel circa 1909 and thereafter. Does anyone know if that is correct - was acier special the same as acier special a haute resistance? I'm googling around in spirals on this one. On a slightly divergent note the gun is SN 179 and originally 2 3/4 with chopper lump (demi-bloc) barrels. I've yet to find SN data so I'm not sure of the date of manufacture but guessed in the 1920s.
thanks
Jeremy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fabrique-Nationale-Herstal used Cockerill steel exclusively.
Some Browning patent very early versions of the A5 shipped to the U.S. between 1903 and 1909 are marked "Cockerill Steel" and "Special Steel" began to appear on A5 barrels in the mid-1930s. The Superposed, introduced in 1928 had "Special Steel" starting about 1948.
It would be comparable to Siemens-Martin or Krupp Fluss Stahl, possibly AISI 1040. Unfortunately I've never seen a composition analysis, which likely changed over time. Browning still uses the "Special Steel" name, but I have no idea as to the composition.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.