Bill, that would be my choice, but arguments can be made for others too. And so I have several, but the 85 Winchester is really, really hard to beat. Very simple action, easily taken apart though it does require a screw driver. Cams the cartridge home if necessary, does not have to be cocked to lower the block, and comes up cocked when closed. Can be quite lightweight, even with a long barrel. It is my first choice in hunting and target rifles. I have several.

Close comers however are
1. Ballard #5 Pacific. Particularly nice because it carries a wiping rod. That is so useful Gemmer Sharps, Trapdoors, and Rollers emulate this feature, so it can be had on on others. I hunt an original Pacific often in the West and Alaska. Downside is that it does not cam in a sticky shell and cannot be disassembled easily in the field if you need to.

2. 1874 Sharps. Of all rifles, none are more easily field stripped. Not an essential feature but it can be nice if you end up in the drink with your gun. It does cam in a shell to some extent, but that is also somewhat limited. I have hunted my Shiloh all over, including Africa.

3. 1884 Trapdoor sporter. I don't own one of these, but I think I should. Definitely will seat a shell, may not extract too well. Doesn't wipe easily from the breach either, but I still would like to have one someday. Maybe.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]