Originally Posted By: craigd
I didn't notice the covered pictures of the vise earlier. They give a look at how it was built. A stout piece, that's interesting to see the thought process, but it completely ruins the mystique.

I thought the Milwaukee Tools info sheet on the Morgans is interesting. As the jaw width goes up, it's logical that the weight would go up. But, when the jaw width gets to five inches and up, there's a disproportionate jump in weight. Bigger isn't always better, but once one of those bigger ones are mounted decently, things must feel rock steady, compared to a six inch big orange special on a workmate.

Every printshop I ever worked in had a half assed excuse for a vise lagbolted to someone else’s idea of a work bench. I lived with a well mounted, but, small, Sears 4 1/2” utility vise (think “Sears” branded, not “Craftsman”) until I found myself in the middle of a 1971 442 restoration. Building the mount took some expense and effort, as did ponying up for a new vise. I did not want the big vise on the bench, no way, no how.

But, In those thirty years since, I have never looked back and wished for something less.

The Sears has been relocated to where I work. It is better than the vise they had when I got there.

Best,
Ted.