June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, Mike Harrell, eeb, Lawrence Kotchek), 293 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,600
Posts546,889
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "cave man" mark is Sauer. It , in reality, is Hercules with a club.
Three in a row should be interpreted as a much higher grade than one alone.
The proper libation after a hunt with this gun is a FIVE STAR spirit as opposed to a three star.:}
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was under the impression that the proper libation was a liquid of the peat/peatmoss variety but not less that 18 years of age?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 09/10/07 06:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd vote with Chief here about date, retailer and diet, though it looks like it's in pretty good shape and it might bring a bit more from the right person. I'll _guess_ that the DRGM (Deutsche Reichs Gebrauch Muster - not quite a patent, but a design registration) might apply to the design of the self-cocking (selbstspanner) mechanism. Typical 1892-1912 German proofs.

I've not seen first part of the style of mark "P16___65.9,75 S.P.28,5 BL", but the 9,75 S.P.28,5 BL looks more like a proof level load than a service load: 9,75 grams (150 grains, nearly 5-1/2 drams!) Schwartze Pulver (black powder) and 28,5 grams (439 grains, or just over an ounce) Blei (lead). The P16___65 is temptingly close to Patrone 16 (16 gauge cartridge) 65mm long.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is "4,75 S.P." instead of 9,75 it would be 73 grains or 2.6 drams, just right for a typical service load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hercules (not a caveman) is Sauer's maker's mark. Don't know of any significance to multiples, probably just restamped because the first ones didn't get clean stamping. The 16_65 would probably indicate 16ga with 65mm case (approx 2.5inches). 28.5Bl is gram weight of lead shot for the service load. The other marks are 9.75 grams of Schultze Powder.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please email me I am intrested

lennart_abrahamsson@telia.com

buler Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Have the gun again and checked the markings. The actual stamp under the barrel reads:
PAPP.16__65.4,75S.P.28,5 BL.

I bought the J.P. Sauer & Sohn book by Arfmann but didn't learn anything new on the gun. Emailed SigSauer and any records from the time were lost in fire and/or bombings.

I measured the LOP based on front trigger to midpoint of butt, this came out to approximately 13 3/4.

The drop at heel measures approximately 2 3/8.

A collector friend of my brother-in-law said its condition is 85%.

Thanks again for the interest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve Meyer has the proof load info down and it is correct. 16 gage 65mm chambers...etc etc. J.P. Moritz was a retailer of Sauers (and other makers) located in Leipzig. I have seen a number of Sauers with the Moritz name on them over the years. Selbstspanner system is "self cocking" as someone has already noted. Not a commonly seen marking on Sauer's but that does not necessarily add anything to its value. DRGM (fill in the number) is commonly seen on any number of Sauer made shotguns and its intent was to show that the use of the feature was allowed under license. This Sidelock has the neat "watch hand" cocking indicators so commonly seen on the early guns. The three "man with club" stamps on the bbl was more likely to have been intended as a manufacturing process stamp similar to the use of Dual crowns on the bbl flats. The Gun dates to around 1896 or so. Model is unknown at this time as no researcher thus far has been able to obtain a Pre 1900 Sauer catalog. (There are reports that there is one out there someplace in Europe) Value is whatever you can get for it! (It looks pretty clean though!) Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Stephens

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.