September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (LeFusil, buckstix, SKB, lagopus, 2 invisible), 206 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,942
Posts550,949
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 1960s, I shot a 20 gauge Flues for 3-4 seasons doing upland hunting. Gun had some issues, barrels had been cut, likely from 28 to 26". Chokes were marked as 2/4 but the remaining amount was more like I/C & choke which was great for my purpose. A "Whiteline" recoil pad had been installed & chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4". Weight was 6lbs even.

At that point in my life, I had not heard of the frame problem with the Fluese & it has steel smokeless powder proofed barrels so I shot it regularly. My standard load was the 2 DE-1 Oz load. I never shot anything heavier & only precious few of the 2 DE 7/8 Oz loads. I shot it until the ribs popped loose & retired it. In hindsight, I highly suspect they had been "Hot Salt" blued. I did know better than that then but assumed anyone who had re-blued it would likewise, guess I was wrong.

I actually shot it quite well & can recall a few doubles on the covey rise while "Bird" hunting. My Dad & I was doing quite a bit of Beagle Hound running then & it was Bad Medicine on those Be-Bopping cottontails as well.

It never developed a frame problem although I realize now it was actually designed & built for the 2 DE - 7/8 OZ load

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I started collecting American klunkers because my dad shot trap and hunted with a Nitro Special with a homemade beavertail forearm. Then I got a Steven's 311 .410 (tenite)for Christmas in 1948 and was hooked. Now I have a closet full of these 'working mans' doubles' that mostly gather dust.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice thing about all this documentation of "Hardware store" shotguns- a big ol' rooster cacklin' as his wings beat, coming out of the cut cornfield- doesn't matter if he drops dead from a H&H or an H&R- it's all good. My pick, as also Steve Bodio's, is for the "Working Man's double- the Ithaca NID. My friend, the late Brad B. also endorsed it-- RWTF.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve changes guns like I change socks, but, he always has a Darne.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While not common here, the working man's shotgun in France was the Robust. Close to a million sold by Manufrance during its day. Gil

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a Tobin. Weren't they sort of a working man's double in Canada? Also a Henry hammer 12. I think they retailed for less than $4 in the old days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Nice thing about all this documentation of "Hardware store" shotguns- a big ol' rooster cacklin' as his wings beat, coming out of the cut cornfield- doesn't matter if he drops dead from a H&H or an H&R- it's all good. My pick, as also Steve Bodio's, is for the "Working Man's double- the Ithaca NID. My friend, the late Brad B. also endorsed it-- RWTF.

I don't think the Ithaca NID is in the same class as the Lefever Nitro, Western Longrange, Hunter Fulton, Winchester 24 etc. (That's why Ithaca brought out the Nitro and the Western Longrange as lower priced "working man's" options.) The NID was the best double Ithaca made. True, a Field Grade didn't have much "bling" to it. But the only thing separating an NID Field Grade from, say, a Grade 4, was the "bling": Much nicer wood, a lot of engraving, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to make mention of the guns produced by Hopkins & Allen. H&A made a few high grade SxS's, but most fit this "Working Man's" or "Farmer Grade" category.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK- agree- local dealer has in his used gun racks, 2 LeFever Nitro Specials- a 16 and a 12-- I usually check them out when I am there having coffee- the 12 has been on the rack for a year, the 16 maybe 6 months- used but good condition, fairly priced, but our area is not a strong marked for older American side-by-sides-- Your accurate observation about the field grade NID and a higher grade being wood, finish and engraving could also be applied to a VH (E) Parker vs. a DH(E) Parker--

I like the trigger pulls on my 12 NID- crisp, and the gun"shoots right where I am looking" every time, ejectors in time, and it was built in 1926=27 era. Don't much care about the cocking indicators, but for the $500 I paid for this 12 Grade 2E--I've gotten over that years ago. If I had to take a "rough country" hunt or tower shoot event in harsh weather, the L.C. Smiths would stay home in the steel vault, and I'd take the Ithaca, every time-hand running.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, the final modifications of the NID got rid of those "snails ears" cocking indicators. That was the version Steve Lamboy used when he brought the NID back with his Ithaca Classic Doubles.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.