June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jusanothajoe, LetFly, SKB, DaveB, Argo44, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,482
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My lepage Belgium gun has Siemens-Martin steel on top,
LLH , ACL (in a triangle) and I stylized H B all on one set of tubes.
I assume that mean Siemens-Martin made bar, LLH bored tubes, acl put them together and what did HB do?
Or is that incorrect?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Acier Cockerill (ACL) made the steel, under license from Siemens-Martin
LLH made the "rough forged tubes"
LePage (likely) joined, fit and finished the barrels
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20l/a%20lepage%20manuf%20armes%20gb.htm
or maybe it was 'HB' who did the barrel work?

Could you please post a full size close up of the 'HB'? - that is not in PeteM's list
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last edited by Jtplumb; 01/04/20 06:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you and very nice. HB may be on the bottom rib also, and he was no doubt proud of his barrel work smile

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe my 1903 browning a5 had the same HB I will have to look for old pics I just sold that thing last week. Nope just pulled pics, I have seen HB on a barrel of mine before but I have sold dozens of browning a5 barrels many had Cockerill barrels.
Thanks

Last edited by Jtplumb; 01/04/20 06:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if applicable, but Park Bros & Co produced a steel recipe including Tungsten/Wolframite via the Crucible Process packaged as >>Imperial<< Steel. Miller, Metcalfe & Purlin produced a steel recipe named >>Crescent<< steel. Both were analyzed in the 1890s. Not sure if they were still producing it or bar stock by 1905.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems highly unlikely that a wolframite or tungsten alloy would be utilized as a steel for gun barrels. Those alloys are used for armor plate or armor piercing projectiles, and would be much too hard and brittle for barrels.

I remember working in a hot mill where a lot of steel that was used for armor plate or fragmentation (cluster) bombs and grenades was produced. The stuff would occasionally shatter like glass even when it was being coiled up while still glowing red hot. Shards would go right through the sheet steel siding at the end of the mill building. Naturally, it was not a good idea to be near the downcoilers when that stuff was being rolled.

The odds of finding out just where Dan Lefever bought barrels marked Imperial Steel are remote at best. Records from his companies are pretty much non-existent. If one of my Lefever guns is marked Krupp or LLH, then I know. Anything that isn't identified is a guessing game. I have a D.M. Lefever that appears to be a 7D with fine Damascus, and an O Excelsior grade with fluid steel tubes. I'll try to take a look at the markings on them in the next day or so.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks
Excelsior should be same steel if not Damascus.
Thanks
I dont think their were more than 1200 of these crossbolt guns made, tuff to find any good info.
Great to hear you have 2. Awesome!

I shot 25 rounds of 1 1/8 international powder 10k plus loads through it today with no problems( yep Im married so what the hell LOL). I will keep them under 10k and use reasonably fast powders. First 6 pit free on pitted side very thick. Think I will skip anything more stout than that.

But would like to know if your excelsior has any proof marks.
Thanks Keith

Last edited by Jtplumb; 01/05/20 06:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will try to take a closer look look this evening Jtplumb. I'm pretty certain that my O Excelsior has no proof marks because the U.S. does not have a proof house. Occasionally we see American guns with proof marks because they were at one time sold in a country with Proof laws.

I do recall that my Damascus D.M. Lefever which appears to be a grade 7 D has a SDG stamp under the barrels. This indicates it was sold through the New York Sporting Goods Co. Shoverling, Daly, and Gales. I say it appears to be a 7 D based upon engraving, checkering, etc., because it is a semi-pistol grip gun and has no grade stamp anywhere. I found it interesting that your 1905 catalog did not list the grade 7 D guns any longer. Based upon the low serial number and the "Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co." statement engraved on the trigger plate, I believe mine is a Syracuse gun built in 1902.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgot about the "Pieper Eclipse" (unknown DOM) barrel I had tested. Pieper was reported to use Cockerill steel.
The sample was non-typical (high phosphorus) AISI 1030 with a measured tensile strength of 99,500 psi.
That would be similar to standard 1040 or 4140.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.