Originally Posted By: SKB
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
The James versus Thomas Woodward thing always hung me up too. Easy to confuse.

I have owned enough Thomas Woodward guns that the difference always stood out to me. T Woodward guns are also known as the "spiral spring Woodward", main spring are contained inside a tube. Most of them appear to be sidelocks, I had one that looked like a boxlock. The safety is distinctive as well being a relatively large "T" shaped bar that pivots as opposed to sliding in order to engage or disengage. I have owned a considerable number of very early hammerless British designs over the years. I eventually settled on more standardized designs for my personal shooting. I would dearly love to own a James Woodward "automatic" someday though.
Steve

Exactly. T. Woodward spiral spring is unlike any other action and is easily identifiable.
It’s actually considered a “striker” fired action. Like SKB said...the strikers and coil springs are contained in a tube, a protruding pin engages the under lever and the tubes are cocked when the under lever goes forward. Not really another action like it when it comes to Brit guns.

SKB...could you please describe the boxlock version of the T. Woodward action? I’ve read through the patents on the action and have never seen the action you described. How would the cylinders that have the strikers and coil springs be mounted in an action like that? Not doubting you, just curious.