June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (griz, SKB, Lloyd3, eightbore, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,160
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all for your time and replies. Decocking was required and the barrels lift right off. When cocked the do not separate.
Now of course another question. Is there a good source for take down instructions for this G grade gun. I will need to do some lock frame cleaning and wood repair on the stock. I want to be alert to any 'surprises'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I don't have the barrel removal/replacement problem on most of my lefevers. There is one HE Grade large hook version that I do have the problem with.

Manipulation of the top lever does no good. Then I took a look at the action lugs and noticed the part that actuates the extractor was blocking the gap between the two parts of the lug.

Extending the extractor/ejector released this part which could then be pushed back toward the muzzles to open the gap so it will accept the cocking hook. Works on mine. I suspect it is a wear problem...Geo

Yes, I was almost certain that it wasn't extractors that you were pulling or messing with. Those are ejectors. Big difference! And the part that was preventing you from removing the barrels is the ejector cam, which is also in the barrel lump. When the cam doesn't easily move out of the way, it hangs up on the in-frame ejector cocking levers, and prevents removal of the barrels.

This, of course, will never be an issue with guns that do not have automatic ejectors.

As Miller says, it is usually not necessary to have the gun uncocked to remove the barrels. But if the gun is uncocked, it will very often be much easier to remove the barrels on recalcitrant guns. This is why I advised making sure it was uncocked. I'll let Marks21 explain the reason for that... since he was so certain that pulling out the "extractors" would get'er done. If he doesn't have the answer... He can always ask Dr. Bob on the Lefever forum.

I'm hoping that Miller doesn't give him any hints for awhile....

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Letfly, I'm glad my advice worked for you.

Are you sure you didn't pull on the extractor??? Just kidding....

Unfortunately, I do not know of any Lefever disassembly guides.For a gun that has a relatively simple design and relatively few parts... compared to say, a Parker, they can throw you some curves. I don't really advise people who aren't familiar with them and all of their vagaries to work on them. One thing that complicates matters is that Dan Lefever was always trying to improve his designs, and there are more major and subtle changes than you might imagine at first glance. As I said before, even a lot of gunsmiths who aren't familiar with them will do more harm than good. The poorly relocated cocking pin in one of Miller's guns is a prime example. Sadly, many of those guns end up getting parted out.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #564406 02/04/20 01:28 PM
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found an excellent guide. Check out INgunowners.com.
Go to DIY gunsmithing forum. There search for 1899 LeFever. You will find and excellent guide as a project write-up from a number of years (2012) back. The author of this extended post has provided an top notch guide with many detailed photos to the disassembly, cleaning, reassembly of the LeFever sideplates shotgun. This should be collated and on a direct link at the LeFever CA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LetFly, I followed your instructions to the site but came up empty handed. Could you post the url for it?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found the thread with the instructions after a bit of searching. I certainly won't post any links that might encourage anyone to disassemble a Lefever, and use a corn-cob abrasive blasting media to give the parts what the writer incorrectly refers to as a "factory frosted finish".

Sorry LetFly, but the title should be "How to lessen the value of your vintage Lefever Shotgun" This is proof that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. When someone can't spell the word patina, and then advises the use of abrasive blasting to remove it, then you know it is time to close that page.

keith #564440 02/04/20 05:56 PM
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith. I posted this link for those who have a Lefever and would like a visual look at the internals before attempting a takedown. I did find all of the photos very helpful. As a certified gunsmith with fifty plus years experience I will leave the manner in which one decides to clean these parts to the respective gun owner unless my advice is requested. My reading of the post is that the gun being worked on had no collector value at the start. I am working on one just like it that was on the way to the bone yard until I saved it. When done it will once again shoot all manner of upland birds over my pointing dogs.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe, head over to the LeFever Arms Collectors Association website. They now have this link posted on their general interest forum. Let my know if you still cannot find it and I will post it here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Factory frosted??? OK then. The attrition train keeps rolling along.

Sorry about being harsh, but I'm into preserving these great old guns... not screwing them up... no matter how well intentioned the screwing up may be.

I am surprised to hear that you are a certified gunsmith with 50 plus years of experience. Can you explain to Marks21 why you were unable to remove the barrels on your 1899 Lefever? There is a reason why I said that even many gunsmith's should not be messing with these guns.

I am not surprised to hear that the Lefever Collectors website has a link to a tutorial that includes abrasive blasting the parts of a Lefever. That helps to confirm my thoughts about the relative uselessness of that venue.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith, I do appreciate all your assistance on my questions. I agree completely as to garage gun guys. As to the Lefever I never had any interest in this maker until just recently when one came along that was headed to the parts bin. I just could not resist saving the gun. I work mainly and selectively on high end German (pre WWI Sauer's) and U.S. makers Parker & Remington SxS guns.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.