I don't know what happened to the reply I made last night, but I felt that the problem might have a lot to do with insufficient drying time between coats. I also don't care a lot for BLO as a stand alone stock finish because there are many better choices. BLO is a reactive, rather than evaporative finish. In that regard, it is more like tung oil and varnishes, versus evaporative finishes like shellac or lacquer. So complete curing between coats is very important, and that is why folks that use BLO know how important it is to apply very thin coats, and give it plenty of time to cure. Also, successive coats of reactive finishes don't dissolve into each other, so it is important to lightly scuff them with very fine sandpaper, rottenstone, or fine steel wool between coats for good adhesion. Always follow this up with a tack cloth to remove dust or stray bits of steel wool. If the finish just beneath the surface is still a bit soft or tacky from insufficient curing, this rubbing or sanding between coats can make a mess similar to what you had.

Whatever... it looks like you have things under control now, and it is really looking great. That is a very nice piece of wood.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.