May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (David Williamson), 377 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,323
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#567085 03/11/20 12:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't recall this topic coming up before and so thought I'd point out a bit of experience gained over many years and guns. I don't think I ever got a side lock gun, percussion or center fire, that didn't have loosened internal screws in the locks. Using a gun in this condition has got to raise the risk of expensive damage. The first thing I do with a new acquisition is to tighten those screws. If you have an older gun you haven't checked, you may want to do so. If you don't feel qualified to do this, it won't cost much to have it done.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
Thanks for the heads up, although I usually have a strip & clean on new acquisitions, that specifically newer occurred to me.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

How old of a gun would you expect to see this in?

Last edited by Woodreaux; 03/11/20 02:37 PM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux

Any age.
Only real solution long term is to Loctite them all in place but simply tightening them up is a good first step.
On a properly stocked British gun, the minimum inletting of the locks means that the pins aren't going anywhere but obviously they shouldn't be loose.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I can't speak for other gun makers but I have L.C. Smith's. I take every one apart and clean them, some have never been taken apart. The inletting for the locks is so tight that the screw heads are seen in the wood and I have never seen any of the bridle screws loose. The axle pins for the sears are screw posts on the locks and the outside of them are rounded to look like a pin.
I have seen outside screws loose and many buggered by not using the right screw driver.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think 90% of the repairs I have done or had to pay for were to repair previous repairs. Very few things wore out from my use. It is a good tip to check if functional problems may just be a minor issue of a loose screw.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think Toby ought to be the final word here. He's absolutely right that they can't back out far due to great inletting. As for Loctite, be careful not to make your locks permanently assembled.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Billy, you have really never offered anything of value or substance here, and this thread is no exception.

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux

I wouldn't expect to see this. A screw could certainly come loose in any gun, but this most likely is an example of the Democrat Chicken Little rocky mtn bill screaming an alarm to take attention from his unrelenting support for anti-gunners and new gun laws to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

I have had plenty of side lock guns apart, and can't recall a single loose screw internally in any of them. If anything, the opposite is true, and that explains the many threads over the years where guys were asking for advice on removing a frozen screw, or one where someone already did damage attempting to remove one. Tang screws sometimes become loose, and this can lead to stocks cracking due to movement under recoil. The cause is not that the screw itself backed out, but that the old wood has shrunk somewhat over time... especially in very dry climates. Care must be taken when tightening these, because flexing the tang or trigger plate can affect the trigger-sear geometry.

If Billy knew anything about using Loctite, he would have suggested the appropriate types, and correct application techniques, to ensure the ability to remove the screw in the future. The Loctite 222 (Purple) is low strength and good for fasteners under 6 m/m. The Blue 242 and 243 are also for smaller fasteners, and also work well when only a very small dab is applied. We're not mounting scopes on a .460 Weatherby Mag. here

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I seriously hope that my "screaming an alarm" hasn't caused anyone here tear his hair out. Bear with The Organ Grinder. He is severely challenged but tolerated here, perhaps for that reason or maybe because he has something on Dave, who knows? What is truly impressive about The Organ Grinder is that if his experience doesn't coincide with someone else's, he automatically knows that person is operating out of some sinister motive. Toby Barclay seems to recognize the problem, but what does he know? No one's opinion matters here but The Organ Grinder's.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not saying it couldn't happen. As Toby said, it certainly could. But, I've shot sidelock percussion rifles and shotguns, and L C Smiths, and sidelock hammer guns hard for 30 years at least, and never had screws to loosen on any of mine. Yes, I've checked them when cleaning and lubing the locks.

I agree with Toby's assessment that a properly inlet gun will not let the screw back out much, but I've never had them to even loosen. My son reminds me occasionally that I have a tendency to over tighten fasteners, tho'.

It's never mentioned but, the percentage of thread engagement has a bearing on how well a screw stays tight, too. The higher the percentage the less likely for it to loosen on it's own.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.