I too share the concern about drop in hunter numbers, although around here you would never know- you can stand in line for 15 minutes to buy a hunting license. But, this is Texas, and like the commercial says, we are a "whole other country"...

If the antis can turn hunting into a "rich mans sport", then we lose the end game. How to fight?

1) make sure there is access to good quality, huntable land for all who wish to participate. Either public land, or private land leased by the state. This require legislation, lobbying, letter writing.

2) raise kids who think "out door sports" when recreation opportunities do crop up. Hunting fishing shooting. This can be hard, although I must say my oldest daughter is more concerned about "gun fit" than she is "prom dress" fit. I hope to keep it that way.

3) encourage and educate kids about hunting and the outdoors- perhaps through school curricula. If they dont become huinters, at least they wont swallow hook line and sinker the anti shibboleth "hunting is bad".

A few ideas - not exhaustive.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."