September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (rrrgcy, battle, snapcap, azgreg, 2 invisible), 470 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,920
Posts550,729
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#568247 03/26/20 11:29 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wake up this morning to discover that instead of just the populous front range, all of Colorado is now under a weak form of martial law, and for something like the next three weeks(!). Initially (well...yesterday), it was only going to be the Denver Metroplex (Denver, Adams, Jefferson & Douglas Counties) which....makes a certain amount of sense. While I'm highly suspicious about many of the components of this mess, what is happening in Italy now seems very real. Since lots of my friends and associates are in what is now being described as the "vulnerable" class for this specific infection, I'm willing to do what it takes....within reason. Our home is somewhat on the edge of the Metroplex, so going away from the crowds is something I do regularly and would do again to "self-isolate" by walking my dog, shooting, fishing, turkey hunting, etc. Since that option has been greatly diminished by our lovely governor, I'm exploring several other options that involve more-rural neighboring states. Our larder is well-stocked, my son is now going to school on-line and my wife is working well within the confines of cyberspace, so everybody is properly occupied except... me. I'm waiting on several work projects to unfold but.....like most of the country....I'm largely stuck cooling my heels. Has anybody here spring turkey hunted in either Nebraska of Kansas?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/26/20 11:44 PM.
Lloyd3 #568251 03/27/20 01:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, My son in Oregon insists he has the right to kayak white-water...nobody is out there but him...except everybody in Portland under lock-down order decided it was best to go hiking in the Cascades...petting his dogs in the process (and two dogs have come down with it)...

Likewise my French wife in McLean wants to go down to the coast for the weekend... After all we're safe, very few cases, nobody will notice.

The problem is the un-sick carriers of the disease apparently are legion...sort of like "Typhoid Mary's" of the 19th century..who didn't get sick but carried the disease (and I had typhoid in Pakistan 45 years ago).

Why not just stay put for 3 weeks on your property? Surely you can find something to do there. Just saying.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Lloyd3 #568254 03/27/20 05:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

“petting his dogs in the process (and two dogs have come down with it)... ”

Dogs got Covid 19?

Lloyd3 #568255 03/27/20 06:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It doesn't apply to all circumstances, but the tough part about travel at this time is some locales are considering it to be a risk factor and imposing a home quarantine on return.

I have relatives in CO, one is shut down from work with ominous written warnings for attempts to get around it. Another had to hunker for going to an in state hot spot, not from the time that they were there, but from the time that the state decided to announce it was a hot spot. There are some places that are saying generally rural activities are fine, but it's the travel that can raise flags, maybe.

No spring hunting or fishing in Colorado?

Lloyd3 #568257 03/27/20 06:59 AM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Turkey season is not open yet and the creeks still have plenty of run off. Spring comes slowly here in the hills.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Lloyd3 #568270 03/27/20 10:17 AM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Argo44: I wrestle with that, of course. I already haven't been anywhere for almost 2 weeks now, other than to go shopping for food and household goods. I had planned on self-isolating in all my usual ways but don't seem to have many of those options now. I'll wait for a bit longer to see how all this goes, but really...reason has to be observed here as well. Rural areas are simply not at anywhere the risk of the densely populated cities.

SKB: Turkey season is open in Nebraska now (opened the 25th). Not sure about Kansas but I'm guessing it is as well. I'd likely use a guide and I'd certainly discuss the situation fully with whomever I hired.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/27/20 11:32 AM.
Lloyd3 #568275 03/27/20 10:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

There are plenty of WIHA in Kansas open to turkey hunting. I haven't hunted turkeys in Kansas, but always see a few pheasant hunting. The bigger issue will be asking someone to hunt--not sure how people will respond at this time. The stay at home has put a kabash on a few things for me. The gun club is shutdown and an easy place (AFA) for me to go hiking with the dog is off limits. Hopefully, we will be opened back up on 11Apr.

Ken

Lloyd3 #568281 03/27/20 11:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd
Colorado isn't under martial law. We are under a state wide stay at home lockdown ordered by the governor. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but we all are in the same boat.

Please realize that Colorado was virus free until a tourist from Australia went to Europe and then came to Colorado for a few days of skiing in both summit county & vail. This tourist had no idea they were exposed or were showing any signs of being sick until it hit them while in vail. Within two weeks of that one tourist getting sick we had 22 cases that were directly traceable to that one person visiting what could be considered rural Colorado. Now just three weeks or so later we now have over 1000 cases with 14 deaths.

Take a look at New Orleans. They were C-19 free just before Marti Graw. Two weeks later it's looking like they are headed to being the next big hotspot in the nation and it's being blamed on the tourist that came to party for bringing the virus to the event.

The bottom line is it's people moving around that transports this to other places. No one knowingly does this on purpose.

Under our state orders you can still recreate in the outdoors for now. You can go fishing as long as you follow the basic guide lines, but everyone is discouraged from leaving their homes as much as possible in an attempt to slow the roll of the spread of this so our hospitals, medical supplies & staff's don't totally get over whelmed all at once.

We all need to do our part for the better good of everyone. Ask yourself. Do I want to be the one that possibly brings the virus to rural Kansas, Nebraska or elsewhere where they don't have the medical facilities to handle it? Another thing to consider. Planting time is just around the corner in the farm belt. We need these farm communities healthily, so they can produce our food for this fall and next year.

We're all bored & stressed over this whole thing. None of us have ever seen or experienced anything like it, but it is up to us as individuals to do what we can to keep ourselves, our family members & our fellow Americans as safe I healthy as we can. This will pass & we'll be able to get back to some form of normal life after this storm has passed.

Lloyd3 #568283 03/27/20 11:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Join the club! U.K, already in lockdown. Shooting and fishing are classed as unnecessary travel so are also no, no's. Expect it to hit big in your cities. Seems to clobber those with underlying respiratory health problems worst. Lot of people wishing they hadn't taken up smoking when they were younger. Does hit indiscriminately as well though so no-one really safe. Now we have Prince Charles with it including the Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Health Secretary Matt Hancock. Trump will probably get it with all the people he meets. We have to stay two metres apart from non-family members and not in groups of more than two. Supposed to only go out once per day for exercise locally and only go out for essential supplies or to work if can't work from home. No non-essential travel. Take care over there and treat it seriously! Lagopus…..

Lloyd3 #568286 03/27/20 11:54 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife and I are fortunate to live in rural northern Wisconsin. Our property is very close to a large state wildlife area. We can walk our dogs on a road and trails through the area until April 15 with almost no chance of encountering anyone else. After April 15, dogs off leash aren't allowed on the wildlife area. But we're also very near to thousands of acres of county forest, also with roads and trails we can use. We also both do some jogging, and we can do that on the road we live on. Less traffic than normal (meaning almost none), and minimal chance of meeting anyone else. So even while isolating and practicing social distancing, we have quite a few options. Other than the gun clubs being closed, our lifestyle isn't cramped very much. We can still get takeout from local restaurants, and will do so to support them during this time of hardship for our local supper clubs.

Eventually, this too will pass. I'm hoping it does so before the panfishing becomes active on local lakes. But I can probably do that as well while avoiding contact with other humans. Small lakes with primitive access (fine for my canoe), so very little boat traffic. I usually go early in the morning and have the water (and the fish) to myself.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/27/20 11:55 AM.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.