September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (azgreg, Jim H., 2 invisible), 249 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,892
Posts550,537
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Geez, Eightbore, if my comment was negative, what did you say about the Klunkermeister's back in the day?

One of the recent Vintagers had several model 21s decide to fail, all on the same weekend. Don't kill the messenger!

4140 is good steel, and, hard to solder. Not impossible.

I was thinking Max's question was a bit more rhetorical in nature, and not directed at me. The only other problem I know for fact related to the 21 is the single trigger and it's adjustment, which, isn't gunsmithing 101, so to speak.

Max, there are a few of us here that get shouted down anytime we offer up a less than starstruck opinion of the 21. Or, anything with the big red W on it. The lug is a bug-a-boo on the 21, and there exists documentation from John Olin that it was an issue with the gun.

You likely only need to get it fixed once. But, I'm just guessing you are going to be joining us in the shouted down camp.

Welcome.

Best,
Ted

max Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, I checked the barrel lug and it is not loose. Also checked the hardware on the forend and everything seems snug. When I try to move the attached forend with hand pressure there is no movement.The slight forward movement is after a shell is fired. Now the round knurl that you move up to release the forend does not seem to function as Blackdog mentioned. I do not get the snap action that he referred to when replaceing the forend. On my gun it just rolls up to remove the forend and when the forend is replaced it seems to roll back in a set position. Extra dounward pressure on the knurl has no effect so I suspect this is were my problem could be? Could this be a reason that the anson design has been standard with the English.

Regards,

Max

max #57215 09/18/07 11:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Max - The forend isn't fully seated if you don't hear a click of the latch when firmly pressing the forend in place. Try applying firm pressure to the front end of the forend rather than to the latch roller.

Ted - Are you suggesting that the following from Eightbore is shouting you down??

"Regardless of Ted's negative general comments about Model 21 rib and lug reliability, he gave good advice about going to a pro."

You must have very sensitive ears!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Max

More forearm infor here. original operating instructions
It tells you how to properly put the forearm back on the gun!

http://members.tripod.com/bluepike/Model21/InstMan/instruction_3.htm

click on the right center panel to enlarge.

Gooser

Last edited by Blackdog; 09/18/07 11:52 AM.
#57224 09/18/07 11:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't detect a loose lug or loose ribs and the forend is not falling off when you shoot, attribute any strange sound to what is normal in a factory fitted gun. Kiss the ground if you have a good 21 for a good price. Gunflint, thanks for the support. I'm not much of a diplomat, just want everyone to have a good time. Klunkermeister can't have been serious. I can't buy back any 21 I've sold in the last ten years for any price. I've tried and failed. By the way, I went to an LCSCA shoot not too long ago where they mostly all failed. What would Klunk have thought about that? I still like Smith guns.

max #57229 09/18/07 01:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore,

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what LCSCA shoot was this where almost all the guns failed? I am curious about this, and if you can provide it, what was failing on the guns. Many thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

For us backwooders, what is a LCSCA shoot??

Walter c. Snyder
max #57232 09/18/07 02:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

LCSCA is L.C. Smith Collectors Association

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There are about three of us in this discussion who have been here long enough to remember the 21 discussions from the first version of the board.

There hasn't been any good shouting down since then. But, a few still get all puffed up when the horsefly-in-the yogurt that is the model 21 lug is brought up. My comment was most CERTAINLY NOT directed at Eightbore, and he knows this.

If you weren't here, you don't know. You never will.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Kiss the ground if you have a good 21 for a good price.

I'm Kissing!! :):)

When my lug came loose, I poster here about the fix. I recieved many E-Mails and sugestions that range from and epoxy repair to complete strip and resolder.

Sometimes ya gots to weigh the situation and and use a little common sense. Granted ,, I could have sent the gun "back East" and had a 2000.00 dollar repair done. All I can say is at least I have my gun back in my posession and not in the hands of the local sherrif!!

Will my repair hold up?? Will by barrels rust through?? Well its been 6 years, and the gun has been USED in many different hunting and target situations. I use common sense, and dont feed it silly high pressur loads, or just throw it in the bottom of the duck boat either. I trusted the recomendation of the Smith I sent it to, He inspected the barrels as best he could, and thought the re-solder would be a fine fix. I was prepared however ,if he had said anything different. At the very least though, he didnt start of the conversation with the idea that it was gonna be a 2000.00 dollar repair, with out even seeing the gun to begin with!! ANNND didnt want to keep it through 2 hunting seasons!!!!!

I dont hold my breath what so ever when I pull the 21 from its place in the cabinet! I just shoot it,, and pery derned good too I may add!:):):) But I do give it a little respect that a gun deserves that was built 55 yrs ago!

Serial #163xx has served a few of us well in its days, and hopefully a few more!

Gooser

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.