I was given a Model 12, 28 gauge Skeet gun and a case of Winchester shells for my Christmas present when I was 12. It was common practice to smooth the action up. For that they used valve grinding compound with oil. You would load a bit into any spot which had a bright wear spot. Then work the action to smooth out the action. I now know I was putting years of wear on the gun king this. But the result was a butter smooth action which seemed to almost pump itself.

Back then I had to buy my shells at the local Western Auto store. Never occurred to me that the only reason the had 28s on the shelf was they got them in for me. I had to earn and save my own money to buy ammo. My father would know when I was getting enough money saved and would go into town and tell them to order my ammo knowing I would be there buying it just as soon as I had enough money. The reason he did it this way was I earned every shell myself which made them a value to me more than any gift would have been. I still love the one ounce loads of a number six shot and would love to take a few more ducks with them. They were great.