Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
What exactly would make it steel compatible or not?? Are you saying that the steel in the barrels cannot handle steel shot?? I just dont get this. So many on this board have the standard answer regarding any question about shooting steel shot in any particular gun, and that answer usually is "I would not shoot steel in my ..........(fill in the blank). It seems to me that this is simply the easiest answer to give and is based on perhaps no real evidence. I do know that some of the "old' steel shot was not very waterproof and often turned to solid steel slugs after a while. But newer shells with plastic shot cups, etc, should be safe in any gun that has been properly taken care of and has no existing damage to the barrels, at least any made after WW II. So, hit me with some definitive answers other than what might amount to hearsay.

Steel does not deform and thus can scratch or gouge barrels, but more importantly, it can have difficulty negotiating the throat (forcing cone) and the chokes and may stretch them, especially the chokes. This is a bigger problem with tighter chokes and bigger shot sizes. You can bell a barrel in some cases.

Also, to make up for less density there is a desire to go faster and have higher pressures.

Your mileage may vary, but I listen to companies like Briley when they describe that is and is not compatible with their choke tubes.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]