"He who goes to the law takes a wolf by the ear."...Geo

That is a variation of a famous Latin verse. "Auribus teneo lupum", i.e. holding a wolf by its ears, as one would express this in Latin reflects encountering a problem or a difficulty that has yet to be overcome. However whichever path you take, whatever you do, difficulties are to be met. The proverb illuminates the fact that sometimes there are no perfect solutions to a problem, sometimes there are no solutions at all.

Also a similar verse is attributed to Jefferson. In his version it was "either hold or let go, justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other. Or you could be referring to "He Who Goes to Law Takes a Wolf by the Ears". Hunter S. Thompson. I am sure others have used that basic thought. I also know of one Serbian version.

I think that in this case, George is warning me that this is a double edged sword. If I did not report them they would certainly just do it again whenever they thought they could get away with it. Or the reverse side is that since I did report them, they could retaliate against me in some way. But I can not be parallelized by double think.

Just like a thief often cases his planned location, these fellows cased mine. They confirmed that I was elsewhere and almost certain to remain there. Who moves off opening day? If the birds are late, you just wait and hope.

Interesting the breadth of knowledge, history and experiences shared here. Sad that I knew this and so many other total worthless, in practical terms, thing and often need to stop and remember why I went into a room for something. Keys move themselves and a hundred dead phone numbers or bank account numbers still come into my mind. But a term I found interesting 50+ years ago still bounces around as well. Funny world.

Last edited by KY Jon; 09/06/20 10:33 AM.