Update on the project. First I ordered a 7mm barrel from Krieger barrel with a custom light weight contour that pretty much matches what Steyr was doing when this rifle was originally made. It will be early next year before I get it. I chose 7mm as I will make it a 7 x 57 Rimmed. This case is much more available and actually fits the original bolt face and feeds well using the enbloc clips this gun was made for. BTW, I was surprised to and has made me re-think the magazine changes but time will tell.
I removed the original barrel from the action and man was that a bear. Had to make a custom action wrench jaws but the barrel did come off with significant persuasion.
I already have a nice blank for the stock so I focused on making sights. I have never made an express type sight before so this is my first and it works well. I learned a lot and some tricks and "don't do's". I may or may not use it cause I have time to make others. The hinge style on the one pictured is what I would call "american style" but the english sights used a little different method and I will try to make one like they were. They require some custom shaper type tools so I need to make them first. I won't finish fitting and polishing until further along on the project
Anyway thats were I am at and I attached a few pics: