I'm interested in the pros and cons of the different types of forend latches. Far and away the Deeley & Edge latch is what we see most, especially on American guns and some Italian guns. It is strong, it looks nice to the eye, and it gives a canvas for some additional engraving on a gun. It was the choice of Parker, Fox on most of their graded guns, and numerous others. But, of roughly forty S X Ss I own, if I open one of them and feel any movement in the forend when the breech "bottoms out" open, it has this style latch. Once fitted perfectly it will stay that way, and tight, for a long time. But, wear will eventually loosen the fit and cause looseness, IMO.

The Anson "push-rod" type fastener, preferred by much of the London trade, is an improvement in the way the coil spring holds it tight, and compensates for wear at the knuckle. But, that button sticking out dead in front of the wood is a catch-all for twigs, grass and leaves. I have several guns with this style latch, but have never warmed up to it completely.

Then, we have the simple snap-on forend mechanisms, of different styles by different makers. My favorite of these is the one on some Sterlingworth Fox guns and graded small bores. It was developed by Kremer, and Ansley Fox himself, according to patents, but is simply called the Kremer latch. Strong, self compensating for wear at the knuckle, it would seem to be the best answer to the "problem" of holding the forend iron tight against the knuckle without extensive fitting, and re-fitting. Yet, as far as aesthetics goes, it adds nothing. On the ejector Fox guns using the Kremer, and other spring loaded design latch, an escutcheon was inletted and fastened to the f/e iron to add strength to the whole affair. This small round escutcheon certainly does strengthen the attachment to the wood, but it also adds a touch of good looks to the otherwise empty underside of the forend wood which, other than the checkering, has nothing to "break up" the expanse.

I'm interested in opinions about mechanical advantages/disavantages, aesthetics, and actual usage of the different types in the field. My feelings? I like the appearance of the Deeley & Edge latch, but not the way it wears out of adjustment. I like the wear compensating of the Anson push-rod type, but not it's protrusion in front, in use. I really like the Kremer spring loaded latch, it's lasting strength, it's simplicity and wear compensating feature. But, it leaves the forend a bit plain as far as looks goes, unless an escutcheon is added.

Have at it. Feel free to correct any errors I may have made also, as I just typed this off the top of my head without much reference to recorded literature.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.