Stan, glad to hear your recovery is going well.

Although you asked a question about present day, there's more nostalgia involved with the Browning than any other OU in this country. It was the gun that got Americans interested in OU's. And a lot of guys are shooting them today because they've been in the family since granddad bought it . . . maybe right before or (more likely) right after WWII. The reason so many people shoot OU's today is because the Superposed got it all started in this country. If you didn't own one and you were into target shooting, it's likely you aspired to own one.

Looking at prices, think of it this way--and I'll stick with the basic Lightning: The guns have become classics, and especially in 12ga, you can buy a nice used one for a very reasonable price for a classic double. 20's are a good bit more expensive (far fewer of them than 12's). But if you're into nostalgia and your taste runs to OU's, they're cheaper than a Fox AE or a Parker VHE--and they'll shoot modern ammo, which some of the Parkers and Foxes won't.

I'm pretty sure it was McIntosh who described the Superposed as being more complex than it needed to be . . . but he compared it to the Parker, which is similarly complex. But they both work.

I'm not an OU guy, but I've owned a couple 20ga Supers, and they shoot well for me. And when I think about a lightweight field gun for grouse, woodcock, and quail, I have to think of a good reason not to buy a 20ga Superlight. Just something about them.