Couple things here.

First, more about the gun, gauge, barrels, chokes, era, etc. Is it still in proof? Just the name Purdey on it doesn't mean it worth the money.

This was my experience which turned out well.

I was offered this gun about 4 years ago.

It was built in 1894 for this guy, Howard Fitzwilliam. It's No.2 of a pair.

Surprisingly all was as it left Purdeys 122 years before except the bores were about 0.001-0.002 over from honing and the pad added about an ounce to the weight. MWT was .025-6" 9" from muzzle, mid 50 thousandths 9" from breech. Everything else was the same and it was returned to Purdey in 1924 for Nitro Proof.

I brought it to the Orvis Gamefair at Sandanona and showed it to Steve Murray, Purdey's Project Manager to get an evaluation. He told me it was "as tight as the day it was made" but very tired looking and that it would cost $15,000 plus cost of wood for Purdey's to restock and make it right. He told me it would probably sell for around $5000 as is. I then went and showed it to Barnett and Hoyt who were there. They confirmed that price was right about what they'd pay for it, if they were buying, but they weren't.

I decide to buy the gun and sent it to Abe Chaber. Abe was able to rejuvenate the stock (he was quite surprised at the figure he found under the grime), add the leather pad and clean up the metal.
I'm very happy, especially as the original dimensions are extremely close to my own.

Purdey was also kind enough to send a shot of the book original entry.

I ended up with a nice game gun for well under $10K. But this gun was still in proof.

You might want to call around and see if any dealers have something like it in their stock. Maybe mechanically sound but too raggy to sell and they don't want to sink money in in this market. From my experience the gun you are contemplating is over priced, especially in the current climate.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn