I started out with Dogtra years ago but eventually went to a Garmin Alpha. Now I will not put a dog on the ground without a tracking collar. And I hunt flushers also Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. Tollers like to do things their own way and can be a handful, usually a lot more so than labs. But I like my dogs like my women, just a little bit naughty.

Worth every penny even for a another collar for a second dog

Just one time that the dog takes off chasing trash before being broke you will be glad that you did. I hunt the Mn. Arrowhead which has the highest density of wolves in CONUS but worry more about a logging truck coming along at the wrong time than a wolf. Although could do without the bastages in the woods.

Will also second Steve Snell and his wife at Gundog Supply. Not sure of your experience with ecollars but when you get your collar also get Basic Obedience Ecollar Training by Robin MacFarlane DVD that Steve did with Robin.

Highly recommend you get a collar with vibration. When your dog gets old enough that it can no longer hear you or a whistle you will be glad that you did. My dogs have been conditioned enough by vibration first before correction stim that I almost never have to use stim just vibration.

Another advantage of Garmin is the availability of the watches to visually see your dogs location without lifting the handheld to look at it.

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Anyone have a recommendation on a Ecollar? Just got a Lab of color who needs a bit of Ecollar training. Been a long couple weeks working with her but she needs one. As Woodrow said “I will not tolerate rude behavior”. In her case rude will most likely result in her death which I would truly regret.

Sounds like you may have a rescue? Been there and done that more than a few times. Wish you the best that is often a lot of work. On the other hand have a 15 week old pup now and swear it is my last puppy. But is a blank slate. Has been sitting on demand and delivering to hand since 9 weeks old.

If you have a pup highly recommend Bill Hilman method to begin with starting with training a retriever puppy

After that you can go several ways but this time will stay with Bill including hold instead of traditional Force Fetch.

But as it sounds like you already know it ALL starts with basic discipline. Sit means sit and stay until released none of this stay stay stay BS. And here means here now, not when you feel like it.

Good luck to you and the new member of the family!