September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FallCreekFan, damascus, ArtLavely, GETTEMANS, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 661 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,855
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PJ, your ejector Sterlingworth is the cream of the crop of the much loved field grades. No gun was better in it's time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LG:

How does someone with only "nailfile and dental floss in their toolkit" go about vetting for originality and condition? Most guys got at least a bore mike which will measure up a few priorities and also detect those pits midway while you're draggin it out of the bore. W/T gauge can be useful also. As for letters, you can buy Callahan letters for thousands of "white" Fox guns. You guys been pickin on Bob again and now he'll never tell us more about Emil Flues.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need the following tools: QUALITY magnifying glass, compact 3-piece cleaning rod with attachments (some lazzzzzy folks don't bother to wipe the bore clean ), choke gauge, chamber gauge, fiberoptic bore light, snap caps, and the knowledge of how too determine concentricity and uniformity of bore channel by looking down the barrels.
Who bothers to get factory letter for "shiny actioned" Fox gun.
PS. I found $1.50 AirAce 5 Spray Gun Cleaning Brushes from BigLots much superior to dental pics and floss!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard you can determine straitness by the the reflections inside. Clearly, a low-angle view down the outside will tell you how well they're faired in the filing. I'd need a crystal ball to determine "concentricity" of bore channel (presumably meaning consistent wall thickness radially) without a w/t gauge and I doubt if I could look down a bore and tell you it's a consistent diameter all the way down. But I ain't Superman

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do the best I can kindly ol' Rabbit!
Things have changed with the guns behind the kitchen door - have gone a little modern these days.
Lots of different seasons ahead up at the Woods, and I want to make the most of all of them...need to make room for deer and varmint time - so some old things have gone their merry way.
New is good, old not so good sometimes.
Need to be well rounded in the hood and a few too many shotguns only look good in the cabinet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, a nice Beretta self-feeder is twice the gun but not double. I understand.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

So how'd you do in the Vintagers shoot ?...I'm still trying to figure out what fell off your gun.

"shots at the RC"...you guys shooting at remote controlled airplanes ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's just say I'm a 50% shooter at SC, Joe. That means 26X50 and maybe 53X100. Oddly, I have done better scorewise with a damascus Lefever and 7/8 oz but that was at Millbrook and maybe a higher % of skeety crossers and no so many floaters there. Apparently I can shoot that stupid teal directly overhead but not at forty yrds as I didn't hit a one of them. Blowing that short ramp off the Flues didn't help my concentration a bit. Check out p. 317 of Walt S.'s Ithaca Gun Co. From the Beginning for pictures of the swamped rib Flues barrels. Walt refers to the "ramps" at muzzle and breech as "nubbins of a rib" but of course the barrels do have an upper rib which is continuous and the "nubbins" are applied over it. Oddly the upper photo suggests to me that the gun shown may also have lost the rear bit as all I see is the rib extension. Anyway, both of these "ramps" are shaped to the concavity between barrels, file-cut matted on top; the rear piece notches around the extension and soldered in place. Very similar to the treatment on my Charlin. I found the piece over the rail in the swampy pond-edge on sta. 1. Had to backtrack as I did not notice it go missing immediately.

There was a four-man (100$ entry) shoot at a R/C airplane. My wife saw it; I didn't. All I saw was 175% prices and a dustbowl in the making.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're lucky you found it. If I had known they were shooting at RC airplanes I would've came...did they have a gauge restriction ?

Hard to dicker with 175 % pricing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert,
Dont waste time, every club or group has a couple like Lowell who are extremely sad individuals that want to start something. He has posted way to many times on field grade guns, and his dislike for them, only to get someone to read his posts so he can feel important. I learned long ago, to leave them be, and they will hang themselves.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.