I've been shooting old SxSs from around 2004. At this time I own around 14 SxSs, 10 of them are Damascus barreled guns, and nitro loads are shot in all my guns. Pressure is pressure, whether it comes from BP or nitro loads. No problems and the only break downs are the occasional broken spring, usually the top lever. They're all Parkers, Remingtons, or Uncle Dan Lefevers. All except the C grade 1894 Remington were 1000$ guns, give or take a couple of hundred bucks. Most were lower grade hunting guns - well used but still in nice condition. None are money pits. Oh I've spent 3 to 4 hundred on getting the Damascus barrels redone. Sometimes just to see what the Laminate barrels looked like when new or what nice case colors looked like, but that was a personal choice, not something that was necessary to keep it shooting.

I run the shotgun venue at my club, maybe 50 shooters . We shoot three times a week. I put on a SxS Shoot once a year in the spring. Out of the maybe 10 serious SxS shooters we have at the club, I can't remember anyone having any gun problems. Most the guys shoot the old guns and all shoot nitro powders. Guess we're all lucky to have all our body parts and guns not breaking down every other week. JMHO

Last edited by Paul Harm; 09/30/21 03:12 PM.