By and large the Remington Hammerless Doubles were chambered for 2 7/8-inch shells in 10-gauge, 2 5/8-inch shells in 12-gauge and 2 9/16-inch shells in 16-gauge. If a gun was ordered for longer shells the length was stamped on the bottom of the tube just forward of the barrel flat. I've never seen a 10- or 16-gauge so stamped. These are both 12-gauges.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Except for the very earliest guns, the surviving 12-gauge hang tags show the guns targeted with Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Load No. 8 (SMOKELESS, TRAP or ARROW shells) or X8 (NITRO CLUB shells), 3 drams of bulk smokeless powder or 24-grains of dense smokeless powder such as Infallible or Ballistite pushing 1 1/4 ounce of #8C from a 2 5/8-inch shell.

Now the fly in the ointment. These hang tags for late guns still show 2 5/8-inch shells.

But circa 1907 all of our North American ammunition companies, including Union Metallic Cartridge Co., quit putting 1 1/4-ounce 12-gauge loads in 2 5/8-inch shells. From then on one had to go to a 2 3/4-inch or longer shell for the 1 1/4-ounce loads.

Also, it is hard to say what may have been done to a chamber in the 112 or more years since these guns were made, and I wouldn't put too much faith in what many gun dealers state in their descriptions.

Last edited by Researcher; 03/12/22 06:18 PM.