Stan, in that Timberluxe thread I posted a link to earlier, Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations posted the ingredients in Timberluxe from the MSDS. It is apparently nothing but Linseed oil/Sunflower oil, Naptha, and a Metallic dryer:

Originally Posted by Mike Hunter
Up front: intent is not to disparage Timberlux or their products. I have never used their products so have no firsthand knowledge as to applicability.

As to Timberlux ingredients, when looking at the Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) which is a legal document required by OSHA. Timberlux listed Naphtha (thinner), linseed/sunflower oils and metallic driers.

We all know that linseed oil has historically been used in wood finishes, we also know that linseed oil alone is not a very good wood protectant, as it easily allows moisture and moisture vapor to penetrate the wood fibers. In the past, it's been mixed with shellac or resins: amber, dammar, copal, etc to make a varnish.

I have no idea on the protective qualities of sunflower oil as nobody recommend it for anything more than "food safe" applications such as cutting boards and salad bowls. And only if you cannot use walnut oil due to nut allergies.

The metallic driers help the linseed and sunflower oils to oxidize, and neither will completely dry on their own.

Respectfully

Mike

Those of us who are not silly enough to be fooled by advertising hype and magical claims understand that this is noting special, and that the price per ounce is ridiculous. If some some reason I really wanted to use these ingredients, I'd mix them myself for a tiny fraction of the cost.

I do find it entertaining that SKB Stevie is now claiming to use Timberluxe often, yet didn't even mention it until Mark recommended it and I advised against it. Here's what he/she said about NOT using Timberluxe in that prior thread:

Originally Posted by SKB
Daly's has been my principle wood finish for a dozen years or so, great stuff! I also use Watco Danish oil, Linseed oil, alkenet root, Waterlox,spirit stains, all depending upon the finish I desire. I have a client who uses Winwax antique oil finish with superb results. I often use Daly's to harden my Linseed oil finish. It has been 15 years since I used tru-oil but I hunted the last stock I finished with it this year in driving rain and sleet, still good to go. Lots of ways to get a good finish. I have yet to try Timberlux, I admit the price scares me off, but I do like the what I have seen of the stocks finished with it. I might have to try a bottle just to see for myself. Like Mark, I do a lot of restoration work and while resistance to the elements is one factor I consider it is not the only one.

Good to see both Mike and Mark posting on the forum.

Of course, we know that Mark and SKB Stevie are pals, and SKB Stevie will say anything to prove me wrong. So he/she would back up Mark's opinion even if Mark told us that rubbing dog turds on a stock would provide a nice finish.

It is nice though, to see that SKB Stevie's continuous advertising of his/her gun importation business here on Dave's forum is paying off.

Originally Posted by Woodreaux
I just received this 1896 EM Reilly 16 gauge, imported from Holt's with the service of SKB (Thanks Steve).

I'm quite sure that Dave will be getting paid his $12.00 for the sale that was made as a result of all that free advertising done here... unless it is claimed that the sale occurred on another forum...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.