May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (skeettx, j7l2, SKB, eeb, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 541 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,222
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well I took it apart and I will say there were never two trigger slots in this triggerplate. The serial number is stamped in the trigger plate and is a match for rest of the gun. The evidence leads me to believe this was a factory effort.

I agree with topgun on the bottom screw, it has been made larger and the engraving dosent quite match up.
Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb:
Yes, I am planning an article; Terry Allen has completed the photography and I've written most of the manuscript. But whenever I write, I must be in my "writer's mode" to be productive; and for whatever reason, just can't seem to find the motivation to get that article and some others I've started completed. I'll get it done soon however, and many thanks for the encouragement. In the interim, I hope you will become inspired enough to learn the truth about the SAC single trigger gun you have. Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb,
I've examined over 90 single trigger patents so far, to no avail...could you post a photo of the trigger assembled, but not stuck to the action with the sear levers in the way...maybe show a top view...I looked at several designs that were close but without that big honking selector...thanks in advance for cooperating...I want to know as the answer as much as you do

reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the pics. There is pressure by the small spring on the back trying to push the shifter to the left barrel. The feeler (front of the shifter) is kept on the right barrel by the hammer. When the right hammer goes forward the feeler is allowed to switch to the left barrel. It works in dry fire. When I switch the selector to the left barrel it wants to double fire. Im not sure what would cause the shifter to move to the right barrel. The whole spring plate moves back and forth with the selector.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1919 George Giddings patented a complete over under shotgun with a single trigger and ejectors. The single trigger has the selector in the same place as your gun, but looks as though it's a refined version...it so hard to say without a better view of the trigger...that patent is 1302909 if you care to look at it...I know 1919 is much later, but can you tell me approxamately what year is your gun, and what year was their first and last year of production? This would help narrow things down some. Makes me wonder if Giddings was ever employed by Syracuse Arms....he was in the area...I think a few of the old Syracuse City Diretories are online...if only I could get my hands on a Giddings O/U...I heard that he made more than a few

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well OK...you must have posted minutes before me because I didn't see your post until I posted last...I've looked at over 150 ST patents now...I.m gonna start over using these new photos...thanks

reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

According to Tom Archers research the gun was made ~1896. Syracuse Arms Co was making guns from approximatley 1892-1905

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb,
Thanks, well I was close anyway, I thought the production years were from early 1893 to 1903 or early 1904, but only form Hollenbeck's and Horne's patents...reasoning if Hollenbeck applied for a Syracuse Arms assigned patent in June of '93...and Horne was apparently applying on his own by 1903 ...inferring...that either the plant dismanteling was underway, or that that Horne had parted company by that point...

I wish I could focus better on the many aspects of these mystery triggers...but I'm making great strides right now on the subject discussed earlier about putting all the inventors of the region on a proximity/timeline....maybe patterns will emerge, maybe they won't...I have no idea where hunt is taking me...

I'll try to work on the trigger hunt tonight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb87,
I haven't forgotten about this thread, life's been busy...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb and all, I notice one thing about this gun that seems different than others. The metal work inside the gun on the triggerplate is much rougher than other guns of the same type, at least I think so. Can you look at other examples you have and see if their inside finish is better ? Oh, does the trigger work ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.